Compatibility Issue...

1. erikezikel Initiate Member

Hi guys...I recently upgraded my tank to 40 gallons from 15 gallons. I have two angels, two red tail sharks, a gourami, a Black Skirt Tetra and five tiger barbs. All these fishes were in the 15 gallons tank and were co-existing very peacefully, and they are doing so in the new 40 gallon tank too. The new tank setup has been almost a month.
    I recently added three blue auratus cichlids which are very small, about an inch or so. Will all of them co exist as these three cichlids grow up?

2. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

WOAH. I'd say not. Your tank is WAY over stocked (even the 40G), and your school sizes are out of wack. I have included links about each species; if you follow them you'll find some crucial information you obviously haven't come across yet.

First question, are your two angels a pair? If not, as they mature you're going to be looking at some real aggression, especially with such a small tank. These fish get to be fairly large, larger than you may be aware of. angelfish

Next question, how old are your RTBS? A minimum of 55G is recommended for ONE of these fish; they are docile as juveniles, but become increasingly territorial as they age, and generally will not tolerate a member of their own species in a tank that isn't HUGE. RTBS

Third question; what kind of gourami do you have? There are many different kinds, and some are tiny and could be eaten by the tank inhabitants, while others are huge, and are likely to run into territory issues with the angels.

Fourth question; what are you planning on doing with your tetra? Tetras are schooling fish, NOT solo fish. They need a school of at least six to feel comfortable, and will exhibit signs of stress when housed without members of their own species to school with. Is this fish the remainder of a school you once had, or did you acquire this fish by itself? Is this a temporary housing, or did you plan to keep it? black skirt tetra

Tiger barbs generally don't do well in schools under 6 or 7 (I'd say 7, ime), because of the "pecking order" they establish within the school. They are notorious fin nippers, especially when kept in an inadequate school, and you're housing them with angels and a gourami, both of which have long flowing pectorals which are prime nipping targets. Tiger barbs

I don't know much about the cichlids, but it doesn't really matter: your tank was over stocked before you added them. There's no way it's going to work out with them in there, not long term. You're looking at needing to get several more tanks, or a tank more than twice the size of the one you've got. Sorry to give you bad news, but in the future, you should research your pets before you get them.

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Hey there - stocking mistakes is a category I fell under. I know have two aquariums and I am working on a third because of it. I have a lot of cichlids and those cichlids of yours are going to grow to 5 inches long. That is 15 inches of aggressive mean cichlid in with your other fish. It might work temporarily, but take it from a beginner who know non-cichlid fish are food for cichlids when they get bigger. If they don't eat them, they will plain out kill them. You really can't mix cichlids with tropical fish except in very rare instances. Don't feel bad, I didn't know my cute little Oscar was going to turn in to an all devoring monster of a fish!!

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

In my opinion, you need to rehome:

both sharks
    the three cichlids

Personally, I would like to see the angels go, too. If you're going to keep one angel, rehome the gourami.

The black skirts should be in groups of 6, 8 is better, more is even better than that. The barbs also require a larger school.

You really need to start doing research on species PRIOR to purchase. You have size issues, compatibility issues, etc.

5. erikezikel Initiate Member

Thanks a ton guys. I really need to do my homework!! Just gave an order for a 60g tank for the tiger barbs and one of the red tail and a separate tank for the cichlids.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Now you sound like me!! Up to three tanks and workiing on 4.... not that I regret forward planning.

7. erikezikel Initiate Member

Yup...still a newbie. This hobby just gets interesting and interesting!! I hope I'll be able to breed some in the near future.

8. erikezikel Initiate Member

Hi wisecrackerz got a snap of the gourami. But I dunno which one it is. can you help me identify guys.

Attached Files:

9. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

everything in the tank looks blue in the shot; maybe because of your lighting? it could be a dwarf blue, or possibly an opal, but i really can't tell with any certainty without being able to see the colors better. you could post a separate thread on the fish ID section, with the pic; you might pick up some responses from people than can tell without coloration.
    any plan on what you're going to do with the angels? they really don't belong in a tank as shallow as a 40G, and unless they're a mated pair, probable shouldn't be kept together (some experienced fish keepers will attempt this, but it often doesn't work, and as a beginner, my advice is to avoid it).

10. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Its a Dwarf. You can tell by the body shape (if that makes any sense lol)

11. raam96 Initiate Member

your gourami is a male dwarf. you can tell by the red stripes on it.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That too lol

When I said body shape, I was referring to WiseCrackerz statement that the picture was blueish for him.

13. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

thanks guys; all juvie gouramis look identical to me, except for the colors. I'm like oooh, that looks kinda like an anabantoid, maybe?

14. erikezikel Initiate Member

I've shifted all the fishes to other tanks. I've just left the angels in 40g (48g, to be precise) tank. The tank housing the Angels is 3'-6'' long 1' wide and 1'-10'' tall...is it enough for just the angels?

15. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

i'd say that's enough, but because i don't have that much first hand experience with angels, i'm going to link you to the page of one of the other forum members who has had a lot of experience keeping angels, and has a good handle on what will and what won't work based on her own personal experience, rather than on reading material (which is where mine comes from primarily). You can't use the PM function yet, as a new member, but you can post to her page and she'll be able to see it. MD Angels

16. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Thanks Liv ;)

Erik, are you sure those tank measurements are correct? (42x12x22). I haven't come across something like that before (which by all means doesn't mean it doesn't exist!) lol

I think we all have a rough start in the hobby, unless we have experienced people in our lives to guide us. I made a lot of "uneducated" mistakes. I also bought into what many sales people told me. But, for having previously kept my first angel Miguel (then about nickel size) in a 10 gallon for a month, (uncycled no less) she (and I) have really come a long way.

She is now flourishing in a 75, her body about the size of the circle on a coke can. And her partner, Dante, is in an old 25, healed form their latest battle.

Miguel and Dante, like your two angels, were bought close together, at about the same age/size (are yours the same size, roughly?). They got along really well for moths, until they reached maturity, and 25 gallons (although suitable for a breeding pair) was not big enough for the two of them.

A 40+ gallon is certainly a great size for two angels. They may even get along. But sometimes, you get a pair that just don't like each other. You might get lucky and get a breeding pair! But you're not likely to find out until they begin to mature, starting around 6 months.
    Getting some dither/target fish will help too. If they have a mid dwelling schooling fish that is always swimming around, it calms the Angels, (no reason to fear threats), and also acts like target fish (they now have a common enemy)lol.
    Just make sure they are not too small. Cardinal tetras, bloodfin tetras and rosy or cherry barbs are a few examples.

Also, it will really help to scape the tank with lots of tall grass like plants, driftwood, and really break up lines of sight so they don't have to stare at each other all the time. But be sure to leave an open space for swimming.

At the end of the day though, sometimes angels will not get along, no matter what. Wait and see. You might get lucky. :)

17. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Thanks for hooking that up, Laura; I may be a wiz with goldies, but my angel-lore ranges from kinda lame to totally pathetic lol!