Compatibility Help.

1. Afishonation

Afishonation New Member Member

I am new to the hobby and recently acquired a 65G cichlid tank. It came with all supplies including fish. I fear that some compatibility issues may arise. Could use some expert opinions. Please keep in mind I did not choose to put these fish together they came with the tank.
    There are:
    3 pseudotropheus socolofia (male, female, juvinal)
    1 male Maylandia estherae (red zebra)
    a pair of Amatitlania nigrofasciata (convicts)
    1 male Rocio octofasciata (Jack Dempsey)
    1 Rafael spotted cat fish
    2 Sterba corydoras
    1 peacock eel

There was a large and smaller Flowerhorn when I got it but I knew that was not a good idea so I took them out and traded them for 2 fish in a mixed peacock tank but I have done some research and think they are actually a pair of juvenile Maylandia lombardo (Kenyi).
    What should I change if anything?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, these fish are incompatible. It comes down to what you want, though. Do you want to keep the African cichlids, or the Central American ones?
    I'd definitely rehome the cories, though. What are the dimensions of the tank?

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

This won't work. You have a mix of Southern American fish (JD and convict) and Lake Malawi. The Lake Malawi (Red Zebra and pseudotropheus) require pH around 8-8.6 while the JD and convicts are usually around 7.0-7.5ish. So those will not work at all.

The Cory will need to be in a group of 6 but they won't work either as they require cooler temperatures, max is 77 degrees. You could put them with the Southern American fish, but keep in mind that they might end up being food as the JD will grow.

So at this point, it's either you go the African route or the S. American route.

4. Anders247

Sterbai cories are a warmer water cory... and the pH really isn't much of an issue. I keep my convict in a pH over 8 and they're fine. The bigger problem is the temperament.

5. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Yeah I would get those cories out of there ASAP as they're going to be dinner. They should be in a peaceful community tank (the temp isn't really a problem, sterbai's can be kept in the high 70s or even at 80F)

And yeah you need to pull apart the South Americans and Africans..... what a random collection of fish....

6. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

I believe the dimensions are 36" x 18" x 24". I know that most recommend a long tank for this type of fish.
    I have the 65G a 38G in my daughters room with some peaceful fish like Mollies/platies. A 10G gallon with some Molly fry. And a make shift 20G bucket tank for isolating. Right now the female pseudotropheus is in that because I believe she is holding.

I am torn because I really like the Africans. I can let go of the Convicts. But I really like the JD. Only the convicts fight with the JD and he dosen't bother any of the others nor do they him also he and the red zebra are the two biggest at the moment around 5-6 inches.

7. S

The cories could definitely go in one of your community tanks... and get them some friends!

8. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

I am torn because I really like the Africans. I can let go of the Convicts. But I really like the JD. Only the convicts fight with the JD and he dosen't bother any of the others nor do they him also he and the red zebra are the two biggest at the moment around 5-6 inches. (Decisions... Decisions)
    I can put the corys in my daughters tank, but I have to say I am surprised because none of the other fish bother them not even the zebra and he is the dominant male, they just roam around the bottom sniffing around like little dogs and appear healthy.

Thanks I can probably put them in my daughters tank, she does however have a plecostomus in that tank (we will move him soon as he grows) will a Corydoras splendens (emerald cory) be a good friend to add to there group?

9. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

Yes. Thank you I am learning as I go, mostly learning that I took over someone else's bad choices. I appreciate your input.

Thank you for your reply. They do seem very healthy, and honestly none of the aggressive fish bother them. But I may still move them to my daughters tank.

10. S

That's cause cories are the Cutest Fish (my daughter calls them the Corgis of the fish tank!) and no one has the heart to bully cories.
    That said they WILL get eaten in that tank eventually it's just a matter of time. They also need friends. They'll be good companions for your daughter's mollies and platties if you get them some cory buddies.

As for the rest the JD isn't likely fully mature yet, I would be worried about him when he gets bigger personally that said I have much more experience with cories than large South American cichlids.

11. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

Okay, I DEFINITELY will be moving the cories to my daughters tank asap. Your right they are the cutest, I call them Rover and Spot and don't want them to be eaten. Will get some friends for them too.

12. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

Oh, also out of the Africans that I have will they be good to leave together and keep the Spotted Rafael catfish?

13. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If the Rafael Catfish can tolerate ph and the temps are the same, maybe...research will need to be done.

14. Anders247

I would probably rehome the rafael catfish. I think they get a little too big for a 36 inch long tank anyway.

15. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

Thanks. I never see him anyway he's nocturnal.

16. Anders247

No problem!

17. OP
    OP
    Afishonation

I arranged to take the JD, Convicts, Rafael, eel, and one of the male pseudotropheus to my local pet/aquarium store. And he is going to help me order and trade for more appropriate tank mates. I'm moving the Cory's to one of my other tanks and going to get a few more of them. Thanks :)