Compatibility for qt/med tank

Greengirl87

This is a long and convoluted story. But it will make sense at the end. Please keep in mind that I am not asking advice on medicating these fish. I believe I have that figured out. I am asking about compatibility. And I feel that since every fish is different, getting a sense of these fish and their personality and history would be helpful. However, if you want the generalized tldr version; male opaline gourami and female paradise gourami in a 20 hex med tank together, yes or no?

So I took 4 paradise(3M/1F) from a friend months ago. She had nowhere to put them because of a tank emergency, so they were in a 5 gallon bucket with bubbler and heater for a day before I took them. In that time, they tore each other up. I thought it was equal parts small space and too many males to only 1 female. Which it probably was. But I mistakenly thought with the extra space in my 55 gallon community, they'd be fine. They were not.

While the males were fine and immediately started growing back their fins, the female continued to be harassed. So I put her in tub I was growing out a couple juvie giant danios in. I thought without the stress and nipping of the males, her fins would grow back. She got along fine with the danios, though she was very wary of them at first. She eventually got used to them. However, being as this was a black tote, it was hard for me to tell if she was growing fins back or not. The danios were about big enough to go into their permanent tank and I had freed up another tank, so I decided to move them all out of the tote.

Once she was in a regular tank where I could observe her better, I discovered that her fins had not grown back. They had not gotten worse really, just not better. I think she got a fungal infection or maybe mild columnaris as well. Because once I could see her from the side, I discovered a strange white/grey patch on her side. Though none of this seemed to bother her. She was and still is swimming and eating fine. I've been treating her off and on with paraguard in hopes that would do it. Because she is in a tank with snails and scaleless fish, so I've not wanted to use anything stronger. Whatever is wrong with her isn't getting better. Though it also isn't getting worse. I think I need to actually medicate her with antibiotic/antifungal.

In the meantime while this was going on with her, the 3 male paradise I left in my community tank decided to harass my male opaline. This guy has never been much of a bully. He has been in my community 55 for a year or more, never causing much trouble. He used to be a jerk before I got him 2 females as companions. But he never actually nipped at anyone. Just some chasing and food theft. He put the smaller fish in their place, and got put in his place by my angelfish(who is king of the tank). So I think he tried to do this with the paradise. Even though they are far smaller than him, they tore him up pretty bad. He had ragged fins and some missing scales. But they seemed to come to some sort of impass where as long as the opaline stayed away from the paradise, they'd leave him alone. They've never tore at each other, they don't bother the female opalines, they don't bother my angelfish, or any of the tetras or cories. I thought things were fine.

Well my life got real crazy and bad for a bit, and I didn't pay much attention to my fish for a couple weeks. When I finally got back to it, I noticed the male opaline had got an infection. Similar to that of the female paradise, only much worse. I set up an emergency qt tank(20 gallon hex was all I had) that day. He for sure has fin rot. After much research, I still don't know whether the other infection is fungal or columnaris. But I'm leaning towards columnaris and decided to treat it as such.

I've done one full round of treatment with him, and he for sure looks better! But he is still not good. So I've decided I need to do another round. And even if he looks infection free after the 2nd round, he has a lot of healing and fin growing to do before being ok again. So clearly it would be a terrible idea to put him back in the community tank where the 3 paradise still reside. I am working on a different tank for them, but it will be awhile before it is ready.

So the opaline just has to stay in qt until then. But I need to treat my female paradise now too. And with the same meds as he is getting. Would it be a terrible idea to have the male opaline and female paradise in qt together? They are both very timid. I think traumatized really, from the wrath of the male paradise trio. Though it could just be because they are sick. Or both. Anyways, since I don't want to treat her in the tank she is in because of snails and scaleless fish, and I'm about to start him on a whole new round of treatment, I thought hey 2 birds one stone. But if it is an absolute bad idea to put her in with the opaline, then by all means I'll figure it out and treat her where she is.

jinjerJOSH22

As a temporary measure.... maybe. Thing with treating sick or injured fish is you need as little stress as possible. The situation they are in could lead to one or the other or perhaps both suffering from stress.

I think the bucket might be the best place to treat her.

Upvote 0

Greengirl87

As a temporary measure.... maybe. Thing with treating sick or injured fish is you need as little stress as possible. The situation they are in could lead to one or the other or perhaps both suffering from stress.

I think the bucket might be the best place to treat her.
Yes I was concerned about the stress. Not just the stress of them being together in a tank, but of moving her. She does not take well to being moved. I suppose I'll just have to treat her in the tank she's in. And hope the meds are fine for my corydora. Internet research turned up that they are probably safe for corydora, but probably not for snails. And man if I don't have a ton of mystery snails in that tank. Gotta figure out what to do with all of them....

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
  • dagoothebetta
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies