compatability question

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyones thoughts on angelfish with guppies, tetra and danios were. I would love to have an angel fish if possible. I was thinking about getting a large tetra to swim the middle of the tank but I just love the way the angelfish look.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know they say that angels and tetras/danios is sometimes a bad mix and I think that it is the same for guppies. Sorry.
Tom

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's the luck of the draw. My friends have an angel with all of there tetras and betta. Also the site under general discussion that lists the chart of what's compatible it says that they are all fine together. But everywhere else I've read says they are not good to keep together. This is why there is such confusion.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SHPEPoser said:
I'm wondering if it's the luck of the draw. My friends have an angel with all of there tetras and betta. Also the site under general discussion that lists the chart of what's compatible it says that they are all fine together. But everywhere else I've read says they are not good to keep together. This is why there is such confusion.
I am just going by experience for the tetras and danios. That is all. The danios were zebras and the tetras were serpae.
Tom

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two angels (Jasper and Jerry) with tetras and barbs (sorry, I've never had guppies or danios), and they are fine.  My angels never get bothered.  It seems like the barbs, the tetras, and the angels basically stay with their own kind and don't bug each other too much.  My angels don't have some of the really long trailing fins that I've seen on some though...maybe that helps.  Here's a pic of mine:

52.jpg

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Serpae tetras are the nippiest of the tetra family. Everyone that I've seen have problem with tetras it's usually the Serpae. The neon, glowlight, cardinal, and others of that general size and body shape aren't as bad (maybe it's because of their smaller size). The problem with those are when the angles out grow them by 3x their size. I guess there are smaller versions of angles? I never did much research on them other to know that they can get up to the 6" range so I was just going by that. The trick would be to put both the angles and the tetras into the tank at the same time. With a large enough school of tetras, the may keep to themselves and because they've been together since day one, they may keep the peace. Guess it would also depend on the size of the tank.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I haven't had this happen to me, but if you get tetras that are too small, your angels may have themselves a nice lunch.

These are the types of tetras I've had with my angels without a problem:

Red Eye
Bloodfin
Lemon
White & Black Skirt

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I also asked my friends that have there angels with tetras how they did it. They've had there tetras for a long time and had a death with their angel. They just recently got a small angel and introduced it to their tank. It is doing great. I think I might try the same method and see how it goes. I have another tank incase it doesn't work out. I let you guys know. I have a school of 4 neon and 4 glow light tetras.

I'm still open to more comments if you have them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom