Comparative Behavior

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I ended up just so that you know getting a red dwarf gourami instead of another betta--I have to admit that I couldn't really bring myself to get another one. Maybe in the future but I think that next time if I do I'll just get a five gallon and have the betta by himself/herself with just a snail for company. We'll see.

Anyway it is interesting to compare my gourami's behavior with Rusty's. He's building a bubble nest (which the snail seems to like to eat) and chases the tetras only when they are near it. He looks very different in obvious ways, he's got a rather shorter stouter build and has those long feelers and all that, but you can see the same kind of intelligence. I think he is more in personality like a female betta than like a male--he doesn't really display or anything and his curiousity has a certain politeness rather than the demanding for attention that Rusty and Darth both displayed. Also he likes flake food but will follow the snail around looking to see if the snail is eating anything interesting...he will eat lettuce and bits of cucumber and spinach too.

Very different but also very similar fish.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Gouramis! I had several when I was a kid. My large Kissing Gourami was so friendly she would kiss my hands and allow herself to be petted. I had two blue Gouramis too. They have a lot of personality and they live a long time. I had my Kissing Gourami for 12 years and she was already at least 10 years old when I got her (the tank and fish came with the house).
I'm not surprised that Gouramis and Bettas are related. They are both intelligent and full of personality. I wish they'd get along. I'd love to keep some powder blue dwarf gouramis in with my Bettas, but sadly it's not possible.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am thrilled that you have a special friend of whatever kind. You are a wonderful fish parent and whatever fish you have will benefit from your care and love. The gourami sounds wonderful and we will be so glad to hear about him.

Thanks for giving us an update on your situation because we do care.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
((poefox))

Congrads on your new gourami!

My boyfriend wanted a kissing gourami badly but felt that his 40 gallon was too small. He's soo considerate of the fish.

I almost got a dwarf gourami as Zens tankmate. The size would have worked but being from the same family...I couldn't chance something going wrong when I wasn't watching and one of them getting hurt so...I'll enjoy my gourami through you

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom