Companions For my Future Tiger Barbs.. Please Help 30 Gallon Tank 

boyomaris10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I am soon to purchase a 30 gallon tank, I know I definetly want Tiger Barbs about 8-10 since I heard schools provided better behavior.
I've been considering also getting 2 Kissing Gourami's, I don't know if I have enough space for any, if i do please tell me and also tell me how much I can have
Please Also Tell me about any other fish wich I could Potentially add
Please Keep in mind that I'd rather not add a single school fish, it seems cruel to me

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kissing Gouriami's grow up to a foot so you shouldn't keep those. 30 gallons isn't going to cut it. You could try bottom dwellers like Corys.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could get green tiger barbs too. They school with the regular ones I've heard so you wouldn't have to get a school of each.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had my school of tiger barbs with an opaline gourami, a South American bumblebee catfish, a small pleco and a couple of peppered cories. They were great. I bought the tiger barbs when they were *maybe* 1" long and the gourami was 3". Now the tiger barbs are 1.5" long and terrified of EVERYTHING, even the peppered cories (who LOVE to scatter the tigers). The gourami kept them in line.

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey,

To the OP.

Just make a note TBs can get aggressive when ever they take a fancy to, and can do some damage to other fish. So stocking for the future is the key.
The best fish to add with them are other fish like barbs Danois or the more aggressive Tetras.

To make things more simple less aggressiveness is to add a large school of the TBs over 10++ amounts. Generally they are much more peaceful with the other tank mates.

IME

A stocking plan would be centered round the TBS,

So for me a plan would be this.

15 TBs
5 Red eye Tetras, Bleeding Hearts ect.
5 Corys

That would be for me.

RE the Gourami.

As for the Gouramis yes they can work, but be careful and have a back up plan once the TBs start to get nippy once they mature. Else stressed Gouramis = death.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Amano said:
RE the Gourami.

As for the Gouramis yes they can work, but be careful and have a back up plan once the TBs start to get nippy once they mature. Else stressed Gouramis = death.
The OP wants to add KISSING GOURIAMIS. THEY WILL NOT WORK IN A 30 GALLON.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are other gourami that will work though. A Blue/ three spot or a pearl wold work and the blue in particular would not be intimidated by the barbs. Honey's and dwarves would be too shy. A barb tank by itself works well though. I have tigers and gold together with giant danios and it is a great tank. Frenetically active.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CichlidsYay said:
The OP wants to add KISSING GOURIAMIS. THEY WILL NOT WORK IN A 30 GALLON.
No need to yell. The type of gourami is irrelevant, because they will all be a target for the tiger barbs. I believe that was Amano's point.

claudicles said:
There are other gourami that will work though. A Blue/ three spot or a pearl wold work and the blue in particular would not be intimidated by the barbs. Honey's and dwarves would be too shy. A barb tank by itself works well though. I have tigers and gold together with giant danios and it is a great tank. Frenetically active.
Absolutely no way would a pearl gourami be able to make it. They are far too shy and timid.

bassbonediva said:
I had my school of tiger barbs with an opaline gourami, a South American bumblebee catfish, a small pleco and a couple of peppered cories. They were great. I bought the tiger barbs when they were *maybe* 1" long and the gourami was 3". Now the tiger barbs are 1.5" long and terrified of EVERYTHING, even the peppered cories (who LOVE to scatter the tigers). The gourami kept them in line.
You're tiger barbs are still young. Once they mature the dynamics of your tank will change, for sure.

Corys and TBs are really hit or miss. TBs like to nip their dorsal fins - just something to look out for. Also, keeping a large school of tigers CAN HELP, but in no way does it ensure they'll behave.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh sorry. Caps lock was still on.

boyomaris10

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks for all your suggestions

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep a pair of kribs with rosy barbs (and had two tiger barbs but one was killed by something) and they seem to do pretty good together.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads