Companions for Male Beta Fish

Odele
I have a male betta fish and a pleco in a 35.9 liter tank and they get along just fine. I was wondering what other fish species other people have had success with. I haven't decided if I am going to add more fish or not. I am thinking not now, but am open to any opinions.

sirdarksol
A betta will usually get along with peaceful bottom dwelling fish, especially if the betta is the second fish to go in the tank.

I would not suggest adding any fish to that tank. A standard pleco can grow to around 18", which makes a single adult pleco too big for that tank.

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

SDS is right - a common pleco needs a tank of about 300 liters, at least. They put out a massive amount of waste (which can make the water toxins high) and experience stunted growth in smaller tanks.

Odele
Thanks for the suggestions... There is probably a good chance that the pleco won't make it since it is a brand new tank anyway. If something happens, I won't get another in this small of a tank.

What about a snail for this tank? Any thoughts?

COBettaCouple
Is there a chance the store would take the pleco back? You can cycle fishless and I find that much easier, plus no fish get lost. Snails are also HUGE waste producers and wouldn't be for a smaller tank.

lalynya
You should name one of them evil duck..any of them..I don't know why..just think it would be funny

Blub
Hi!

I'm afraid you can't actually have a tankmate for your Betta is that size tank!

Odele
My betta is missing some scales near his head. Do you think he lost them from rubbing up against a fake plant? The pleco and the Beta seem to get along great whenever I am looking. They like to hang out right beside each other and I have not seen them fighting.

Also, how many water changes is too much and how much water should I take out each time. The tank is very dirty for some reason (I have raised freshwater aquarium fish with snails for several years with no rocks... so it was really easy to clean with a siphon and get everything!).

miker
1/4 th weekly

Blub
My betta is missing some scales near his head. Do you think he lost them from rubbing up against a fake plant? The pleco and the Beta seem to get along great whenever I am looking. They like to hang out right beside each other and I have not seen them fighting.

Also, how many water changes is too much and how much water should I take out each time. The tank is very dirty for some reason (I have raised freshwater aquarium fish with snails for several years with no rocks... so it was really easy to clean with a siphon and get everything!).
Hi!

Odele, can your pleco move back into the 29gal? He will experience stunted growth and a poor life in a 10gal as it is too small for him; he will be much healthier and happier in a 29gal where he plnty space to swim when he's full grown.

That sounds like some kind of ulcer. You'll want to put some vitamin supplements in there. Sorry, I don't know any US Vitamin supplement names!

Water changes. You need to do at least 1 25% water change every week, but if you can do it more regularly then proceed to do so. There is no such thing as too many watcher changes - remember in nature the fish are having a constant water change!

sirdarksol
Actually, even a 29 gallon is too small for a standard pleco.
One option, if you want to keep the two together, is to get a larger tank.

Vitachem is a good product. Does the area under the missing scales look raw or inflamed, or is it just kind of pale and scale-less?

Odele
Thanks for the input. I'll go to the pet store today and see what I can find. I only have a 10 gallon tank (Wish I had a bigger one too, but not until I move into a bigger place). I bought the pleco not knowing that my tank is too small...

sirdarksol
That's okay. You're not the only one. I really wish fish stores would tell their customers that plecos need huge tanks. I just had to pull a dead one out of the tank at my brother's day program. I was going to take it home next week so that it had a better home.

Blub
Actually, even a 29 gallon is too small for a standard pleco.
One option, if you want to keep the two together, is to get a larger tank.

Vitachem is a good product. Does the area under the missing scales look raw or inflamed, or is it just kind of pale and scale-less?
Hi!

Someone said it was a Clown Pleco?

balasharks
if bettas get along with peacfull fish I was thinking a balashark but they grow much to big and when full grown might see the betta as a nice little snack.

chickadee
There are several kinds of pleco and I do not think that the type of pleco has been specified. There are types of pleco that would be okay to keep in this size tank but since there is no fish specified but PLECO it would have to be guessed that it is a common pleco. If it would be a Rubbernose, Clown, or one of the Dwarf Plecos I think the store would have had it labelled as such but it was obviously not or it was not listed as such. If it was a Clown though it is safe to keep it in a tank that size as they are very small. I have one and it is very tiny. (under 3" and almost a year old already)

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TSmith
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Top Bottom