10 Gallon Tank Companion For Honey Gourami In 10 Gallon?

drabina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My son had two honey gouramis but unfortunately one of them died of dropsy. What would be a good companion for the lonely honey gourami? We had guppies before but they are a bit too crazy. I just do not know what other small fish we can get that's peaceful and not a schooling fish. We are looking to add one fish the size of honey gouramI or maybe two smaller ones.

OP
D

drabina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for replies. My son wants fish so shrimps are out. Not sure about tiny endlers with a bigger gourami. I am suspecting that the dropsy was caused by the gouramI scaring the other one during feeding time.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would not recommend ANY fish with long flowing fins because the GouramI will sometimes nip the fish fins. I would recommend some tiger Glowfish or maybe some Zebra Danios. They are not nessisarly schooling fish so there is no problem. I hope this helps!!

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are you worried about the honey gouramI bullying the endlers because honey gouramis are usually really peacefull fish.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fish 321 said:
Are you worried about the honey gouramI bullying the endlers because honey gouramis are usually really peacefull fish.
10g

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PheonixKingZ said:
I would not recommend ANY fish with long flowing fins because the GouramI will sometimes nip the fish fins. I would recommend some tiger Glowfish or maybe some Zebra Danios. They are not nessisarly schooling fish so there is no problem. I hope this helps!!
Tiger barbs are extremely aggressive, and they are schooling fish. And they also need a larger tank then 10g

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
PheonixKingZ said:
Why not bards lizard boi?? They r not school fish so they are perfect.
Ten gallons is way to small for tiger barbs and they will tear that poor gouramI to bits.

windrunner9189

Well Known
Reaction score
barbs and danios are schooling fish. the barbs, I think, would especially enjoy nipping at the gourami's ventral fins. barbs are too active for 10 gallons from what i've seen. and then, especially then, if you cram barbs and the honey in the tiny tank the gouramI would have almost no where to hide.
honeys are very mellow and do not nip fins (keep mine with guppies who have long tails. no accidents)
I second the endlers! a pretty livebearer, and they do not need schools.

OP
D

drabina

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the replies. The temperature is set for 78F. Will have to post the photo when I get back from work. Basically, we have gravel, two smaller rocks, two wooden structures, five plants (smaller) and moss ball.

I like the zebra danios you have recommended but everywhere I look, they say, it is a schooling fish. We had peacock gudgeons before and they are nice.

New Threads