companion fish? Question 

mommafox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am new to angelfish ownership as I inherited a silver angelfish and 10 gallon tank from a co-worker who was relocating. Since there is only one fish in there now, I am interested in adding one as a companion. What are some good companion fish, even other types of angelfish as I really like this one, that are good for beginners to introduce? Thanks for any helpful tips or advice!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there, Welcome to Fishlore!

First of all, knowing the nitrogen cycle (it should underline and by clicking it takes you to the page) is essential to fishkeeping. It will help you keep your fish happy and healthy Many beginners (myself included) start off with no knowledge of it and end up with fish dying for reasons unknown at the time. So the sooner you learn about it, the better for you and your fish If you have any questions, feel free to browse through the threads in the 'nitrogen cycle' part of the forum (I think it comes under 'aquarium water' from the main page) or post your own if you can't find an answer you need

It seems like your co-worker was misinformed, angelfish require a minimum 20 gallon tank, and preferably a tall one otherwise their beautiful long fins can become stunted. Here's a profile https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Angelfish.htm
Some people here recommend a 29 gallon minimum for an angel. I'm sure others will pipe in with suggestions for you

A few questions about the tank: Did you use the same filter media (sponge, ceramic noodles etc) when your co-worker brought over the tank?

Have you had the water tested yet? You can get it done at some petstores, but they often use test strips which are notorious for being wildly inaccurate. Most people here recommend the API masterkit, it contains everything you need and is good value when you consider how many tests you can do (and is WAY cheaper than buying all the liquid tests you need separately).

I know I'm throwing alot of information at you, hopefully it won't scare you away Once you get settled into fishkeeping, it becomes much much easier. The beginning is a little hard while you're learning, but the people here at fishlore are more than happy to help you get through it and be able to enjoy your fish

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I also agree on the 29 gal for angels.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tetras such as neons, congos, glowlights, etc would be great tankmates for an Angelfish but you'd have to get the tetras in first before getting the angelfish. And I'd recommend a 30+ gallon tank.

Best of luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads