Compact external filter Question 

JCM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, im looking at adding an external canister filter to my 120L tank. I have the built in juwel internal filter atm but would like to eventually replace this with an external to free up space and improve the look of the tank. The problem im having is that all good canister filters seem to be really tall and the space i have for it is only 33cm/13inch tall. Can anyone recommend a good filter that would fit? I would like as many lph as possible. I really liked the look of the all pond solutions ef/ef+ range but looks like they will all be too tall. Any ideas?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Woah, that's a very inconvenient height to work with. Standard canisters are obviously out of the question...I did find one called the zoo med nano 10. It's ~11.5" tall which might be challenging to work with for tubing... Also based on how small the pump is you'd need a few of them running to actually be effective. At that rate it might be best to just get a good HOB style filter, I don't think a smaller canister than that one exists. Islandvic Cichlidude

MrCarpy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
Woah, that's a very inconvenient height to work with. Standard canisters are obviously out of the question...I did find one called the zoo med nano 10. It's ~11.5" tall which might be challenging to work with for tubing... Also based on how small the pump is you'd need a few of them running to actually be effective. At that rate it might be best to just get a good HOB style filter, I don't think a smaller canister than that one exists. Islandvic Cichlidude
Agreed. A HOB would be better suited for your situation. BTW I run a HOB filter on my 29 gallon and it's just fine. Using a Fluval C3.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Possibly look into a All Pond Solutions HOB-500

Its not a canister, but APS calls it a hang on back canister. Sort of a hybrid HOB I guess?

All Pond Solutions Ltd Aquarium Hang on Back External Filter 500L/H, 1.65 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I would fill the baskets with foam sponge that was cut to fit. APS sell sets of coarse/medium/ fine foam sponge sheets that would be good for this application...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garden-Pond-Replacement-Filter-Sponge/dp/B00BAWBFTC

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom