community tank

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When and if my 33 gal ever cycles I want a community tank
question 1: I know guppies and bettas are a no no, but is the rule the same for female bettas and Guppies?
question 2: I know I want a female or Male betta, and cories but what else would be ok?

Pepsi216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most people on the forum will probably tell you that bettas are no good in a community tank. I disagree however, and think it really depends on the betta's personality and the other fish you have in there. Right now I have a community tank with Cardinal Tetras, Cories, and Ottos that used to house my male Polaris who died several months ago, and now houses my female CT, Artemis. Polaris was a very passive boy, and while Artemis has a little more spunk, she has only been curious as to her coinhabitants, and has never attacked them. Both have been very happy with their arrangement.

I won't say that this is true for all bettas. Some will attack anything that swims, or appears to swim. And while this isn't bad, a betta that does such would be best by itself. But if you have a fairly good tempered boy or girl, it can be done. If you do decide to add a betta, I would make him or her the last inhabitant you add, and then would watch the tank closely for a few days to make sure that everyone's getting along okay. Have a backup plan too incase things don't go as planned.

Good Luck!

~Kelly

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Right now I have Cories (Sterba's Cories) the Peppered Cories did not work at all and Pygmies did not last either; Otos that Alexander loves and takes his nap with; and Dwarf and Yo-Yo loaches that are going over really well and a Rubbernose Pleco but then I have larger tanks (12 gallon and one divided 25 gallon) so it really does depend on the size of your tank. I will admit to my tanks being overstuffed but I do numerous 50% water changes and filter changes/washes and gravel care weekly and feed very sparsely. I am with my fish pretty much 24/7 and they are very well cared for almost constantly so I get by with a little crowding but I will also say that if any of them do not make it for a while I probably will not do much replacing although with one exception right now everyone is (knock on wood) very healthy.

Rose

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lila sleeps with her otto friend too!
Well, I am getting albino cories b/c they are the only ones you can get here, except for occasionally some others.
I really wanted guppies, but i guess I might have to settle for some tetras.
I think that if willow pulls through all of this, she may go into the community because she seems pretty mild. Lila, Spike & Kronos are very lively to stay the least.

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a hex 5 gallon tank for Cujo that I want to add some albino cories to as well. How many should you be able to add to a tank that size? It would be one male betta, one mystery snail (which I just got today ) and then some of those adorable little corries...

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jendayi said:
I have a hex 5 gallon tank for Cujo that I want to add some albino cories to as well. How many should you be able to add to a tank that size? It would be one male betta, one mystery snail (which I just got today ) and then some of those adorable little corries...
Snails poop alot, so in my opinion you are stocked. Cories need to be in groups of 3 or more, so a 5 gallon is too small. Sorry.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got 2 corys in the Platy tank and they get along alright.. 3+ is best, but the corys and otos still do seem happy as long as they have at least the 1 buddy. 2 corys would still be 6.5" of fish, so you'd need to do extra water changing and cleaning to keep the water good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom