Community tank

  • Thread starter

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
91
Experience
Just started
hi guys
I'm planning to get 5 red eye tetras for my newly cycled 20 gallon tank , i was thinking of get guppies as well ,but did some research and found out that red eye tetra are fin nippers so they can't get along, so I'm not sure about any compatible tank mates so need some advice


thnx in advance
dee
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
A school of 4-5 cories would be nice in a 20 gallon. They'd give you some activity at the bottom of the tank too!
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,944
Reaction score
59
Points
293
Experience
2 years
Another kind of tetra would be okay. Maybe something with a different body shape than the red eye. Something like a black skirt (black widow) tetra or a serpae tetra. Or even some flame/Von Rio tetras. I second the cory idea, too.
 
  • Thread starter

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
91
Experience
Just started
thnx for the input guys, but as far i have researched corys are sensitive and are not recommended for new tanks , i could go for diff tetra but i ill like to have some diff species like honey gournamis will they be ok ???
 

Paigee

Well Known Member
Messages
941
Reaction score
23
Points
113
Experience
2 years
Serpaes are nice, have a beautiful reddish amber colour, and I currently have one with a guppy (getting 5 more in about a month or so) and so far, so good. The serpae has never gone after the guppy, only a few nibbles on the neons, but I'm not sure how many of those nibbles were from the serpae or from the neons playing amongst themselves. I never had any real issue with them, but many people have warned me... Not sure that that was helpful, just thought I'd share!
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,944
Reaction score
59
Points
293
Experience
2 years
Deeqadri said:
thnx for the input guys, but as far i have researched corys are sensitive and are not recommended for new tanks , i could go for diff tetra but i ill like to have some diff species like honey gournamis will they be ok ???
You also have to remember that as long as your potential fin-nippers are in larger groups (generally five or more), they will nip among themselves, but leave everyone else alone. For example...I have three tiger barbs in my 29 gallon along with an opaline gourami. The tiger barbs leave the gourami alone, but chase each other all the time. It helps that the tiger barbs are terrified of the gourami because they were introduced to the tank when they were 1" long and the gourami was 3.5", but still...
 
  • Thread starter

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
91
Experience
Just started
bassbonediva said:
You also have to remember that as long as your potential fin-nippers are in larger groups (generally five or more), they will nip among themselves, but leave everyone else alone. For example...I have three tiger barbs in my 29 gallon along with an opaline gourami. The tiger barbs leave the gourami alone, but chase each other all the time. It helps that the tiger barbs are terrified of the gourami because they were introduced to the tank when they were 1" long and the gourami was 3.5", but still...

thnx for the input , so it means i can try guppies with them tetras will be so much into each other that they might forget about guppies , I'm so tempted to get guppies but i don't want to harm the fish for my pleasure.
 

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,944
Reaction score
59
Points
293
Experience
2 years
Just remember the rule of thumb with any livebearers. Either go all male, all female or have way more females than males. That avoids fighting over the females and allows the females to get a break from mating. Also, the tetras would probably help keep your guppy population under control by eating the inevitable fry (if you get females).
 
  • Thread starter

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Points
91
Experience
Just started
Paigee said:
Serpaes are nice, have a beautiful reddish amber colour, and I currently have one with a guppy (getting 5 more in about a month or so) and so far, so good. The serpae has never gone after the guppy, only a few nibbles on the neons, but I'm not sure how many of those nibbles were from the serpae or from the neons playing amongst themselves. I never had any real issue with them, but many people have warned me... Not sure that that was helpful, just thought I'd share!
thnx for input Paigee , i could have gone for serpae tetras but unfortunately they are not available in my LFS
 

Amano

Valued Member
Messages
130
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
4 years
I have never had Issues with Corys in a new tank. They have always been fine IME.

As for other fish to add. I would get a bit more than 5 of the red eye tetras more 6 or 10, and just have a large school with corys.

But individual choice.

For other fish other types of Tetras, and IME nothing with long fins.

mac
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
Some, not all varieties of cories don't do well in new tanks. Just like some tetras are good for new tanks and some are not. The only Cory that os sensitive I can think of at the moment is the panda Cory. That is the reason my four pandas haven't been moved from my ten to my 55 yet.
 

Amano

Valued Member
Messages
130
Reaction score
1
Points
113
Experience
4 years
Monmouth said:
Some, not all varieties of cories don't do well in new tanks. Just like some tetras are good for new tanks and some are not. The only Cory that os sensitive I can think of at the moment is the panda Cory. That is the reason my four pandas haven't been moved from my ten to my 55 yet.
It is due to the stabiltiy of the tank. I added many times Corys from Pandas to Britski Brochis in tanks that have been propery cycled, with silent cycles and they all went fine. Never had issues.

At the end of the day all fish are sensatve no matter what. Just some more so than other. But IME Corys are very simple to keep no matter the tank also as the ph is stable and the water condition is cycled and stable.
 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
86
Points
143
Experience
3 years
Amano said:
It is due to the stabiltiy of the tank. I added many times Corys from Pandas to Britski Brochis in tanks that have been propery cycled, with silent cycles and they all went fine. Never had issues.

At the end of the day all fish are sensatve no matter what. Just some more so than other. But IME Corys are very simple to keep no matter the tank also as the ph is stable and the water condition is cycled and stable.
I agree stability is key. Like i said, i am keeping panda cories now and am not doing anything different than i was before and they are happy. I have just read that panda cories tend to be more sensitive than other varieties of cory.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom