Community Tank

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently cycling a 20 gallon long tank. It will be planted with one decoration that fish can hide in. I am thinking about getting a dwarf gourami or two and putting them with my 2 mollies and 2 platies which i already have. I have a couple questions as i have never owned a gourami.
1. Is it ok if i get a male?
2. Should i get 2 females
3. what should i know or expect about owning and taking care of them

Thanks

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't do mollies in this tank, they have quite a bioload, quite heavy.
You can do the gourami, and the platies, there's also options for a school of smaller fish.

What types do you like?

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest at least one male, as they are generally more brightly coloured. In a 20 gallon I would suggest either one or three DGs. They can sometimes be aggressive, so its best to have 3 so the aggression is spread around instead of just attacking one fish.
I kept 3 male DG in a 10 gallon (yes, now I know that is too small) without any aggression issues. So you could be okay with 3 males, or one male and 2 females, up to you. I wouldn't get 2 males and 1 female, or the males will harrass her to no end.

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
You can do the gourami, and the platies, there's also options for a school of smaller fish.

What types do you like?
im thinking about getting a school or tetras

seth rodgers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:

What types do you like?
Also i do weekly or bi weekly water changes so the waste issue isnt a big deal. i love mollies and platies and would like a gourami as a bigger “star” of the tank and a schooling fish would be a nice touch as well. i will make sure not to overcrowd it and it will be planted with a place to hide.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom