Community Tank

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by seth rodgers, Apr 13, 2018.

1. seth rodgers

seth rodgers Valued Member Member

Hello,
    I am currently cycling a 20 gallon long tank. It will be planted with one decoration that fish can hide in. I am thinking about getting a dwarf gourami or two and putting them with my 2 mollies and 2 platies which i already have. I have a couple questions as i have never owned a gourami.
    1. Is it ok if i get a male?
    2. Should i get 2 females
    3. what should i know or expect about owning and taking care of them

Thanks

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do mollies in this tank, they have quite a bioload, quite heavy.
    You can do the gourami, and the platies, there's also options for a school of smaller fish.

What types do you like?

3. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I would suggest at least one male, as they are generally more brightly coloured. In a 20G I would suggest either one or three DGs. They can sometimes be aggressive, so its best to have 3 so the aggression is spread around instead of just attacking one fish.
    I kept 3 male DG in a 10G (yes, now I know that is too small) without any aggression issues. So you could be okay with 3 males, or one male and 2 females, up to you. I wouldn't get 2 males and 1 female, or the males will harrass her to no end.

4. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

im thinking about getting a school or tetras

5. OP
    OP
    seth rodgers

Also i do weekly or bi weekly water changes so the waste issue isnt a big deal. i love mollies and platies and would like a gourami as a bigger “star” of the tank and a schooling fish would be a nice touch as well. i will make sure not to overcrowd it and it will be planted with a place to hide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice