Community Tank

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by seth rodgers, Apr 13, 2018.

1. seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Hello,
    I am currently cycling a 20 gallon long tank. It will be planted with one decoration that fish can hide in. I am thinking about getting a dwarf gourami or two and putting them with my 2 mollies and 2 platies which i already have. I have a couple questions as i have never owned a gourami.
    1. Is it ok if i get a male?
    2. Should i get 2 females
    3. what should i know or expect about owning and taking care of them

Thanks

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do mollies in this tank, they have quite a bioload, quite heavy.
    You can do the gourami, and the platies, there's also options for a school of smaller fish.

What types do you like?

3. jaymethyValued MemberMember

I would suggest at least one male, as they are generally more brightly coloured. In a 20G I would suggest either one or three DGs. They can sometimes be aggressive, so its best to have 3 so the aggression is spread around instead of just attacking one fish.
    I kept 3 male DG in a 10G (yes, now I know that is too small) without any aggression issues. So you could be okay with 3 males, or one male and 2 females, up to you. I wouldn't get 2 males and 1 female, or the males will harrass her to no end.

4. seth rodgersValued MemberMember

im thinking about getting a school or tetras

5. seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Also i do weekly or bi weekly water changes so the waste issue isnt a big deal. i love mollies and platies and would like a gourami as a bigger “star” of the tank and a schooling fish would be a nice touch as well. i will make sure not to overcrowd it and it will be planted with a place to hide.