Community Tank

1. BonBon

BonBon Valued Member Member

So I currently have two platies and four mollies in a ten gallon. I know this is too small and my 37 gallon is cycling so they can move to that one. Do I have room for more different species in there? Which fish would you recommend?

2. Tk82

Tk82 Valued Member Member

5-6 Harlequin rasboras are pretty nice, galaxy rasboras are also really cool, I have 9 in my 40 community. Cory cats are very docile and fun to watch also

3. OP
    OP
    BonBon

Are they schooling?

4. a

angelbabyz New Member Member

If they are schooling fish you can have a bunch .. I have a 40 gallon tank with mollys platys guppies and zebra danios
    I need to.figure out when my black molly will have her babies cause I definitely think she's prego

If I could figure out how to post a pic I could show u her and ask for opinions

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

6. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Bon...

First, I'd move some of the old media from the 10 to the 37 and jump start the cycling process. If you can move something else from the 10 like a decoration or some of the bottom material that would help too.

I wouldn't add any fish to the 37. Mollies need room, period. And lots of it, if you plan on keeping them healthy. Platy females get quite large, in excess of 2 inches and both species are fast breeders if you give them pure water conditions. Before you know it, they'll have outgrown the larger tank.

Just be a fanatical water changer, don't join the "Waterchange Slackers Club"!

Old

7. OP
    OP
    BonBon

Thanks for your advice. I'm aware that mollies breed quickly a my Molly gave birth to 17 babies two nights ago. My best friend's dad owns my LFS, so I have a deal made where I give him my baby mollies and he pays me $1 per Molly! My platies are both female so they can't breed, and for both those reasons I'm not too worried about my tank becoming overcrowded because of the fry.