Community Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sarahscivic2000, Jul 10, 2015.

1. sarahscivic2000

sarahscivic2000 New Member Member

I recently obtained a 55 gal long and having an issue with stocking. I have a blue auras now and he is extremely aggressive. I am considering selling him or rehoming and going with a more peaceful community tank (guppy, molly, ect) but I am also hung in the balance of stocking with the same species of cichlids. I hear you have to stock alot in order for it to be successful. Just wondering what the members here would recommend. TIA [​IMG]

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    What would you be interested in?
    I like gouramis, cories, tetras, rainbowfish, cichlids etc but it would be more helpful to see what you have in mind.

3. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

The pic above is the only fish at this point. I would like a nice visual attraction kinda tank. I can accomplish with both kinds of fish but I'm STUCK LIKE CHUCK lol I have another 55g with a pair of JD and I love them. But I think I want something with alot of greenery and active top, mid, and bottom kind of swimmers. I'm not sure what I can put with this one fish since he tries to kill everything I have tried to put with him. And the hubby is no help since all he says is "whatever you want honey " lol. I enjoy the cichlids, I've had a tiger Oscars and I don't want plecos anymore. I want to be able to decorate and it not be destroyed. I love a natural looking tank and the visual entertainment it brings. I need help. Pics would be awesome. I'll post a pic of my JD tank.

4. Anders247

Rainbowfish would kind of fit that, they need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    Try looking at the types of Melanotaenia.

5. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

[​IMG]

My natural baby JD tank. LOVE IT!!!!

6. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

Yes it is outside and a handful to keep up since it is on my porch.

7. Anders247

Looks cool!
    Here's my last post in case you missed it:

8. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

This is what I'm heading towards really. Is there a list somewhere of what different level swimmers I can add

9. Anders247

I am not aware of one.
    Bottom swimmers would be cories, and top would be hatchetfish. Middle would be rainbowfish.
    (All mentioned are schooling fish that need a group of 6+ of their own species)

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If it were me, and the fact that you already have a cichlid tank of sorts with the JD tank, I'd go for a full on peaceful community tank

Pearl/Thicklipped gouramis, tetras, cherry barbs, danios, guppy, molly, platy, swordtails, rams, corys, kuhli loaches, rasboras, etc.

edit: whoops late to the party. browser was slow.

11. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

Thanks guys..... we have decided to go full tropical community. Guppy, molly ect...... one more question tho...... crayfish I know will try to catch the fish but hubby really wants an electric blue.... would it thrive in a tropical? They def don't last in any cichlid I have had. What would be a worse case senario in the tropical? I'm assuming just him trying to eat my fish lol

12. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I would not do a crayfish in a community tank with small fish such as guppies, platies, etc. Things can only go the wrong way for the fish, sorry to say.

If he does want a crayfish, best thing to do is put him in a separate tank, maybe a 10g. It's for the best.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say "Just trying to eat my fish" is a very light statement. Otherwise, with the right environment, it should be fine.

14. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

How do you deal with the algae? Wondering why your tank is so spotless! It looks awesome btw

:)

15. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

Ty very much. I have a magnet cleaner. They are great Lil tools when you have no algae eater. It's a Lil more work yes but I like to be more involved in my tank

16. OP
    OP
    sarahscivic2000

Also I don't change my filter unless it's falling apart. Just a good rinse in cold water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice