Community Tank

sarahscivic2000

Reaction score
I recently obtained a 55 gal long and having an issue with stocking. I have a blue auras now and he is extremely aggressive. I am considering selling him or rehoming and going with a more peaceful community tank (guppy, molly, ect) but I am also hung in the balance of stocking with the same species of cichlids. I hear you have to stock alot in order for it to be successful. Just wondering what the members here would recommend. TIA image

Last edited by a moderator:

sarahscivic2000

Reaction score
The pic above is the only fish at this point. I would like a nice visual attraction kinda tank. I can accomplish with both kinds of fish but I'm STUCK LIKE CHUCK lol I have another 55g with a pair of JD and I love them. But I think I want something with alot of greenery and active top, mid, and bottom kind of swimmers. I'm not sure what I can put with this one fish since he tries to kill everything I have tried to put with him. And the hubby is no help since all he says is "whatever you want honey " lol. I enjoy the cichlids, I've had a tiger Oscars and I don't want plecos anymore. I want to be able to decorate and it not be destroyed. I love a natural looking tank and the visual entertainment it brings. I need help. Pics would be awesome. I'll post a pic of my JD tank.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rainbowfish would kind of fit that, they need a group of 6+ of their own species.
Try looking at the types of Melanotaenia.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks cool!
Here's my last post in case you missed it:
Rainbowfish would kind of fit that, they need a group of 6+ of their own species.
Try looking at the types of Melanotaenia.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am not aware of one.
Bottom swimmers would be cories, and top would be hatchetfish. Middle would be rainbowfish.
(All mentioned are schooling fish that need a group of 6+ of their own species)

sarahscivic2000

Reaction score
Thanks guys..... we have decided to go full tropical community. Guppy, molly ect...... one more question tho...... crayfish I know will try to catch the fish but hubby really wants an electric blue.... would it thrive in a tropical? They def don't last in any cichlid I have had. What would be a worse case senario in the tropical? I'm assuming just him trying to eat my fish lol

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes I would not do a crayfish in a community tank with small fish such as guppies, platies, etc. Things can only go the wrong way for the fish, sorry to say.

If he does want a crayfish, best thing to do is put him in a separate tank, maybe a 10g. It's for the best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom