Community tank mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by rokshak, Jul 13, 2015.

1. r

rokshak New Member Member

OK, after finding out the hard way that danio's are not exactly good room mates, I've removed them, and upped the neon tetras to 10. Everyone is much, MUCH happier. They're all swimming about and being little explorers. The dwarf gourami is enjoying some much needed rest as well.

Now the question becomes, what's colourful and friendly and calm that I can add? I would prefer fish that don't need a school. Just singles that mill around and do their thing. Are there many options for that?

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Platy's, Guppy's, Swordtails

I have 3 male guppy's in my tank and they hang around each other all the time. We call them the 3 amigos

Peacock Gudgeon may also be an option. Depends on your tank size (37 gallon in your profile?) and what you have in there already

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Male endler's are very colorful and friendly. I have them in my tank with guppies, platys, tetras, and a male dwarf gourami. Everyone gets along great.

4. OP
    OP
    r

It's an understocked 36G. There's quite a bit of room to grow but it's a tall tank, which limits choice. If I had the space for a long tank I'd swap in a heartbeat!

Ty for the suggestions. Would guppies or platy's occupy the upper middle/ top of the tank? Now that the danio's are gone the neon tetra have filled the big blank space in the lower middle. Which is great because we just never saw them before unless it was feeding time.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. ClearEyes

Yes, my guppies, platys and endler's stay up top about 80% of the time. They do explore all around, but when i'm sitting in front of the tank, they're generally up top, probably because they're expecting food.

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Platy's will occupy the top. I can't comment on swordtails as I've never owned any but i would assume they would do the same. The guppies are known as top dwellers but really my 3 males swim all over. Just make sure if you do guppies to do all males unless you want fry. You will have a lot with live bearers...lots and lots of babies. If you do decide to do females, do 2 females for every male.

I have not seen any aggression whatsoever among my 3 males. I don't know if that is typical or not though

Oh and if you wanted a centerpiece fish or something similar you could do a ram of some type. They also do fine as a single. I have a single in my tank. He/she swims around with my 2 female gouramis.

7. ClearEyes

When I had swordtails, they explored a bit more than the others, but they still tended to hang out at the top more than bottom or mid.

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

This is the 37 that has the same footprint as a 20 long? 30 by 12?

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

If it comes with the Top Fin 37 kit, yes it would basically be a 29 Tall, 30x12x22 I'm assuming.

10. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

I going to check out my LFS this weekend. I'm hoping to find some blue mickey mouse platy's.

need something for the upper levels of the tank and they look so pretty in pics.

11. M

Mrb Valued Member Member

German blue ram

12. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I'm going to suggest a group of amano shrimp. They are large enough to see,and very interesting to watch, very long lived, never bother tank mates.

13. OP
    OP
    r

That's more suggestions than I expected. I'm not wild about the idea of live bearers but they are attractive fish.

Someone local suggested a golden Wonder killifish. They said they're peaceful top dwellers but I don't know a single thing about them. They're definitely... Well they're alright.

Shrimp,while different and interesting, creep me out. :confused:

Oh, and the tank is a Marina brand set up. If I remember correctly it's 20 inches long?

14. Dom90

Can you get exact measurements? Hard to give ideas unless we know what we're working with :eek:

15. OP
    OP
    r

The tank is 30 Lx14 Wx20 D

How about marbled hatchetfish for a top dweller? I would imagine a golden wonder killie would munch on your neons once it got big enough. They have surprising large mouths for their size.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Marbled hatchets would need a group of 6+.

17. OP
    OP
    r

1436819352301.jpg

18. Dom90

Yea so its basically a 29g that's an inch higher.

19. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

I know you are looking for fish that don't need schools, but Emperor Tetras would look so good in your tank. They can get by in smaller groups ( 5 ) and like to twitter around on there own. The males have a unusual trident tail. They are also quite interested in what is happening on the other side of the glass.

20. OP
    OP
    r

Actually I wondered about emperors. I saw them and thought they looked really nice. That one is a big possibility. I'd prefer fish just wandering and doing their own thing in a variety, but maybe another school would work for the best after all. As long as they're calm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice