Community Tank Ick Or Ich

Penny22

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Noticed one of my platies with white spots a few days ago. Started turning the heat up a couple degrees at a time. Added in some aquarium salt. Then my other platy started getting an infection, so I went and got some Metroidozal. Started the treatment yesterday. Today two of my bettas are having a really tough time breathing. I do have a bubbler going and temp is at 82 F. Any other suggestions?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The other Platy getting an infection, can you clarify that, did you mean it’s also getting Ich?

Metronidazole is not my go to for Ich, personally I find it kind of ineffective. Whenever I see Ich, I go straight to either Nox-Ich or Super Ick Cure. I skip the heat and salt part, I find that most times it fails, gets worse, and then people end up getting meds anyway. Those two medications are totally safe to use unless you have snails or shrimp. Even scaleless fish I have kept have never been harmed by it.

By the way, Ich would be the correct shortened name for Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, though even I say Ick sometimes lol.

Bearsandtulips

Reaction score
When I first started my tank one of my neon tetras had Ick really bad and it had spread to a few of the other tetras. I bought them all at the same time. So I treated them with Jungle Ick Guard and used about half the dosage since Neons are supposed to be sensitive to the medication. I got it at Meijer and they have it at Walmart too. It worked and only the little guy that had it really bad died. He was covered in it all over. Just a suggestion if you think the medication would work well for your tank. Good luck hope your fish feel better soon.

Penny22

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The other platy has white spots but in a consolidated area. Also I have one mystery snail and don't want to harm him. Any other med suggestions?

Penny22

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They seem better today the two bettas have energy back and the ich is almost completely gone on the platies, plus the one with the consolidated spot. The bettas just have spots now..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom