Community tank compatibility - 40 gallon

Dluis

Hello!
I have a 40 gallon fish tank- freshwater. I’ve kept It running with no casualties or illnesses for about 2 years. Recently, I’ve decided to add several tank mates into the community tank after quarantining them for a couple of days. I’ve heard that the 3-spotted blue gouramies are semi aggressive and territorial. I’ve added 3 variation of rams - 2 Bolivian rams and another ram (don’t remember name). Before, all fish got along. I originally had 2 pearl gouramies but they were getting beaten up by the 3-spotted gourami

Now with the addition of new fish, the blue gourami started to chase one of the Bolivian rams so I rearranged the plants so they reset territory. The gourami is about full grown size - 5 inch and the rams are about 1-2 inches.

I have two 50 gallon filters running at the same time for this tank. What are your thoughts on potential aggression problems with the current inventory of fish I currently have? Again, I’m trying to find other fish that the 3-spotted blue gourami would play nice with.

Updated 9/18 =36 fish
  1. 5 Buenos Aires
  2. 1 - three spotted Gourami
  3. 2 albino Corydoras
  4. 1 black skirt tetra
  5. 6 neon tetra
  6. 10 plattys
  7. 4 zebra danios
  8. 3 Bolivian rams
  9. 2 dwarf suckers Otocinclus

veggieshark

I think you have too many species, some not in enough numbers.

I would get rid of the black skirt tetra (because it is alone and you already have two more schools of tetras) and the danios. I would also get rid of either the gourami or the Bolivian rams. (Keeping the rams may be more peaceful but you may have to get rid of cories to leave the bottom space to rams.) If cories stay, get 4 more of them so they can school.

If your tank is established and you have plants, otocinlus are fine.

I would not have platies, either (mostly because they need different water and can breed too much) but that's debatable. The others will keep their population in check anyway.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
vaisenv
Replies
Views
Eaton
Replies
Views
Eaton
Replies
Views