Community Tank Behavior Change

Wickette

Up until 2 weeks ago, my 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras dominated my tank, they hung out front and center, didnt nip but were the king of the tank

I made some minor changes to my setup, now all of a sudden all my other fish are super active and the 6 tetras are just hanging out near the back, center, bottom of the tank. Not swimming around unless I'm feeding, and then it takes them a while to go to the food, just 2 weeks ago they were ravaging any food in the tank like piranhas, needed help just to find a way to get food to the other fish.

Any one have theories about what's going on, and if I should do something about it?

candiedragon

It may take a while for the Bleeding Heart Tetras to adjust to the changes. Though it seems that everyone else likes the changes. Communities are interesting given how hierarchies can be disturbed by little changes in the right places. I have a 55-gallon tank with Bleeding Heart Tetras, Roseline Barbs, Odessa Barbs, etc. They were very skittish once I moved them to that tank. I started adding more hardscape and lots of plants then eventually they chilled out and don't scurry away whenever I go near the tank.

Most fish rely on certain key elements to have a sense of security. Non-boisterous tank mates, decent school numbers, lots of shelter and objects that can break line of sight, and probably others. Whatever you did gave your other fish that sense of security, but it might have either taken something away from the Bleeding Heart Tetras or they're disoriented by the changes and trying to get used to it. This could be a good thing, my Bleeding Heart Tetras have always been chill until the initial part of the move. But you could try making other minor adjustments and see if you can find a happy medium of how you want things to be. I usually say give things about a month before you make a change.

A201

As long as the BH's are eating, likely no worries. What ever minor adjustments you made to the tank evidently made them feel vulnerable. The more seasoned tank mates are well accustomed to you & their evironment and weren't affected.

Wickette

A201 said:
As long as the BH's are eating, likely no worries. What ever minor adjustments you made to the tank evidently made them feel vulnerable. The more seasoned tank mates are well accustomed to you & their evironment and weren't affected.
Its more like they traded places, loaches, rams, thick lipped gourami, leopard ctenopoma all either hid or at best stayed in their territory, now all of them are swimming everywhere, all day long

Wickette

candiedragon said:
Most fish rely on certain key elements to have a sense of security. Non-boisterous tank mates, decent school numbers, lots of shelter and objects that can break line of sight, and probably others. Whatever you did gave your other fish that sense of security, but it might have either taken something away from the Bleeding Heart Tetras or they're disoriented by the changes and trying to get used to it. This could be a good thing, my Bleeding Heart Tetras have always been chill until the initial part of the move. But you could try making other minor adjustments and see if you can find a happy medium of how you want things to be. I usually say give things about a month before you make a change.
The changes were really was minor, aside from some plastic plant hiding spots for the gouramI the tank and a single wisteria plant trimmed back the tank looks the same. The 2 major changes were I didnt feed the fish for 48 hours, they were looking bloated. and around the same time my temps dropped to 75.8 for a few hours two nights in a row, and went upto 82.6 for 2 days (wisteria was cutting off water flow to the heater).

Ive had a hard time in general keeping the tank at a desired temp. its been 80.4 for a week straight now

candiedragon

Wickette said:
The changes were really was minor, aside from some plastic plant hiding spots for the gouramI the tank and a single wisteria plant trimmed back the tank looks the same. The 2 major changes were I didnt feed the fish for 48 hours, they were looking bloated. and around the same time my temps dropped to 75.8 for a few hours two nights in a row, and went upto 82.6 for 2 days (wisteria was cutting off water flow to the heater).

Ive had a hard time in general keeping the tank at a desired temp. its been 80.4 for a week straight now
That's pretty huge for those little fish, particularly the temperature changes. Adding extra hiding spots is pretty big too. Hopefully things level out from here on out, though I think this is just how things will be and I think that's just okay. There's more balance in the tank this way.

Wickette

the temperature drifts were slow over 6 days, the tank temp didnt shift more than 1° per 3 hours not good, but should have been to detrimental.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I over crowded the tank with hiding spots, most of my live plants are not doing well so the tank is still full of plastic plants, I didnt add or substract any, but did recently split them up a bit so the fish can swim between them created more small spaces, but much less giant open space. I also moved my paradise fish to this tank about 1mo ago, shes oblivious to the other fish but does constantly swim the length of the tank, which was exclusively the role of the tetras.

Tough to make out the plant density in a photo but rough idea... true a densely planted tank with live plants is far denser than this, but plastic plants don't have the same give, might as well be plastic caves ...I think it might be too much

candiedragon

Wickette said:
the temperature drifts were slow over 6 days, the tank temp didnt shift more than 1° per 3 hours not good, but should have been to detrimental.

I'm kind of wondering if maybe I over crowded the tank with hiding spots, most of my live plants are not doing well so the tank is still full of plastic plants, I didnt add or substract any, but did recently split them up a bit so the fish can swim between them created more small spaces, but much less giant open space. I also moved my paradise fish to this tank about 1mo ago, shes oblivious to the other fish but does constantly swim the length of the tank, which was exclusively the role of the tetras.

Tough to make out the plant density in a photo but rough idea... true a densely planted tank with live plants is far denser than this, but plastic plants don't have the same give, might as well be plastic caves ...I think it might be too much
Oh I hope I didn't give the impression that it was harmful. I just mean that the changes were considerably a big deal to some of the fish, that's all. Not that it's a bad thing!

You could make the transition to all live plants. If they aren't doing well, what type of plants do you have and how long have you had them?

A densely decorated tank is not a had thing, even if it's a mix of plastic and live plants. But I mean, if you don't like it then you could always change it again later.

Wickette

My point was many minor changes were made, but the biggest was the removal of open space, it did wonders for everyone else but reverse effect on the tetras Theyre shoaling in tight groups near the substrate, between plants. 4 of the 6 are def. eating (I have yet to spot all 6 at once at food time, but they look identical, the might all be eating, its just a huge difference to before).

As for the plants, Ive given up on them, wisteria and watersprite all died, anubius bart. dead, java fern is covered in black spots, asian water fern isn't growing or dying but the tips of the leaves are growing roots... super weird. Anubius frazerI is the only thing really growing. Its been 3-4 months with these plants. I'm done trying once these dye off. Ive kept pothos under water, bamboo growing out of the tank ...all did great. but these aquatic plants are a PIA.

Wickette

Its been a few weeks, 3 of the bleeding heart tetras are out and about once again, one hides all the time, 2 only come out for food. I hate to admit it, but I suspect moving my female paradise fish to the big tank may have started this behavior. She seems to leave everyone alone, but she does zip throughout all levels of the tank all day. Which is what they used to do. I added her weeks before the behavior shift in the tetras but may be the problem. Or less likely I did change by filter out put so only half the flow comes out the spray bar, the rest comes out at discreet low and mid level points

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom