Community Tank - Aggression question

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! Someone recently mentioned to me that, in one of my planned tanks, aggression might be a problem.

Specifically, that Serpae Tetra and Cherry Barbs can both be aggressive. They would be with Pearl Gourami, which worry me for obvious reasons.

Serpae Tetra, Black Neon Tetra, Hi-Fin Black Skirt Tetra, Cherry Barbs, Rummynose Tetra and Pearl GouramI are what I have interest in for that tank. Kind of hoping for some advice there, or a "Hey, the Barbs and/or Serpae aren't aggressive if certain conditions are met".

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Serpaes can be pretty aggressive, more so when not in a proper school.
I've got a few with otos. They leave the otos alone but quibble amongst themselves.
The otos and serpaes occupy different areas of the tank.

There have been people on the forum who have returned them because of their aggressiveness.

I think their nippy rep is justified. I can't comment on how they'd get along with the other fish you mention.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree. I had some one tell me not to get them because I wanted some tank buddies with a Dwarf GouramI because they would nip at it too much

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two serpae tetras in a 55 gallon they do fine because everybody else is faster and bigger. They are there because they nipped the other fish in the tank at work.
My blackskirts on the other hand nipped until I made the school bigger. I think there are 8 in it. They do quibble amongst themselves and a minor nipped fin shows up occasionally but nothing serious.
The only cherry barbs I ever owned turned into sweethearts when I added lots of plants for them to hide/sleep in.
Carol

blaen99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
I have two serpae tetras in a 55 gallon they do fine because everybody else is faster and bigger. They are there because they nipped the other fish in the tank at work.
My blackskirts on the other hand nipped until I made the school bigger. I think there are 8 in it. They do quibble amongst themselves and a minor nipped fin shows up occasionally but nothing serious.
The only cherry barbs I ever owned turned into sweethearts when I added lots of plants for them to hide/sleep in.
Carol
Good to hear about the cherry barbs!

And thanks everyone, Serpae are definitely off my list now

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a school of six serpaes in a 40 gallon tank and they are the most docile fish in there! They are in with danios, yoyo loaches and harlequins.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Probably a good call on the serpaes. I've had bad experiences with them, even in a school. If you can tolerate nipping (which I can't), then I guess they're ok. But I would be worried with a gouramI as gouramis seem to be pretty chillaxed swimmers for the most part.

If the serpaes were with faster-moving species, then I don't think they would be as much of a concern.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads