Question Community tank advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristineG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I need a bit of advice about the 30-gallon tank at the seniors' residence. My first postings were about this tank, if you want to read the history of it.
Right now the tank holds;
3 danios
7 neon tetras
2 albino cherry barbs
3 julii cory catfish
1 rubberlip pleco
1 full-size swordtail (bossy)

But the man who owns it has been persistant about having some livebearers in the tank, too. I told him he could set up another tank, but he's not willing to do that. He wants fish babies in this tank again, like he had before when it was full of mollies. He feels the babies won't be a problem; we can feed them to something--like a neighbour's turtle. :shock:

Since it IS his tank, I feel I should respect his wishes, so despite my better judgment, I'm looking for livebearers to add to this mix. (He'd like mollies again, I know. Would they fit in this mix or should I talk him into getting swordtails or platties rather?)

If you were me, would you just add a trio of something or would you rehome the danios & swordtail first? Or would you leave them in--since they'd probably snap up the new offspring for lunch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would add a female or mail swordtail (depending what the current one is) Ratio of 2 female to 1 male.

Depending on how many hiding spots are in the tank, some babies will hide and some will be eaten. Unless you remove them from the tank and raise them in a fry tank you will lose some fry.

I wouldn't add mollies because your tank is already pretty well stocked and adding multiple mollies will be too much.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, I'd do swordtails instead of mollies.

There's nothing wrong with feeding fish to a turtle.....it's the circle of life. The reason fish have so many babies is because most get eaten.

OP
C

ChristineG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add a female or mail swordtail (depending what the current one is) Ratio of 2 female to 1 male.

I wouldn't add mollies because your tank is already pretty well stocked and adding multiple mollies will be too much.
Whatever I add, I'll have to do multiples; the swordtail I have is like a bossy maiden aunt. She's been "single" for so long, I don't know if she'd accept the advances of some little twerp newcomer. (And the tank will be overstocked as soon as the first batch comes along.)

In fact I think I'd get swords of a different colour. She's not "mean" but she does chase the albino barbs (also orange) and really did when I first brought them home.

I suppose it is the "cycle of life" that the little guys get eaten. It sounds so mercenary, when you sometimes work so hard to save ONE fish, to turn around and feed a bunch of them to a turtle. I'm just not sure if the gent in question is actually going to look after this, or just let them multiply until there are 50+, like there were of mollies when he took care of the tank.

Last edited:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it's his tank and he wants babies, what are you wanting to do with the fry? I mean, to me, it seems like the fact that he's got a tentative plan for them shows that he's being at least somewhat responsible, even if you don't agree with his plan.

I think you can either honor his wishes, or not... but if you do, you need to have plans for the fry.

OP
C

ChristineG

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it's his tank and he wants babies, what are you wanting to do with the fry? I mean, to me, it seems like the fact that he's got a tentative plan for them shows that he's being at least somewhat responsible, even if you don't agree with his plan.

I think you can either honor his wishes, or not... but if you do, you need to have plans for the fry.
Oh, yes, he is somewhat responsible and I will honour his wishes--it's his tank. He's also getting feedback from some of the other residents who feel the same: babies are cute.
For him after awhile the novelty will likely wear off, though, (his family tells me) and then he'll get busy with other things and the fish will be forgotten. (Read: my worry.)
And I fully intend to take care of the tank, but I haven't any plan for the fry myself. He says "I'm not worried about what to do with them. We'll find something."
I do hope it will all work out well. Right now I just want to get something that will be the easiest to care for in the situation we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom