Community Stocking Questions

1. D

DeniseMichele Valued Member Member

Hi all,

I am a newbie and I am stocking my first tank. It is a 55g and it will be mostly hardscaped with driftwood and some plants. The filter is the SunSun 302, and a Tetra Whisper 20i that I am thinking I will take off periodically for the quarantine tank. This is the stock I am considering, please let me know if this seems good or bad or what not.
    - 9 Corydoras (haven't decided for sure on what type, probably trilineatus)
    - 5 Platy
    - 15 Rummynose Tetra
    - 2 Mystery snails
    - 3 Mollies
    - 2 Gardneri killifish*

* The second part of my question is if the killifish would be better replaced by something else? I thought about doing some type of cichlid but I could not find any that I thought were colorful and/or peaceful enough. I thought about doing a pair of ngelfish but I was concerned as I am planning on getting lyretail mollies, and I have also been told that angelfish do better in small groups rather than pairs, and that even with a matched pair, they may become viciously aggressive with the other fish. Lastly, I also considered doing one or two bristlenose plecos instead of the killifish, but if I do this I will have to reduce some of the other numbers.

All feedback and info will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It seems like you know what you are doing. Is your tank cycled yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks! I am relieved to hear that I am on the right track. And nope, not cycled yet...just waiting it out :)

4. Dom90

So you are in the process of cycling?

5. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

You could switch out the killifish with ram cichlids, there's German Blue (most colorful, but sensitive to water) and Bolivian (less colorful, but hardier, still very pretty imo if you don't want to deal with too sensitive of fish like me :p). There are also some types like Golden Ram and Electric Blue, but I believe those are a variant of the German Blue and carry the sensitive characteristic (not really sure though, someone can correct me if I'm wrong). They're very peaceful and are a dwarf cichlid (they only get 3-3.5 inches I think). You could probably get a pair or more since there's lots of room to establish territory in a 55. I think that the pairing behavior and breeding behavior is really cool! Good luck with your tank!

6. Dom90

Electric Blue is a mbuna and would definitely not work in a community tank, not only are they aggressive, but have different pH requirements altogether. Plus they get to 6" or more.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Yes, I am cycling presently. Making sure I know what to do with this tank once its ready lol. But what does "sensitive to water" mean? Picky about parameters?

8. Dom90

Yes, you must have a well-established tank with pristine water conditions. Found out Apistos are like that also. Put one in, had mini cycle, it didn't last :(

9. bettamars

Aren't there these ones though? The first two pictures aren't correct, those are German Blues, but the video shows the electric blue rams.

10. Dom90

That may be but there are cichlids called electric blue also

11. bettamars

Oh, I know nothing about any cichlids other than dwarves for the most part :p Well, to keep it clear for the OP, you can do the electric blue ram, but not the electric blue mbuna cichlids :)

12. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks to both of you! :)

13. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

There is a colour variant of the german blue ram (mikrogeophagus ramirezi) called electric blue

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

You are correct. The german blue comes in a few color variants such as the golden ram and electric blue ram. Both have the same sensitivity as the GBR. There may be some other color variants as well.

If you are wanting color, I don't know if you've considered some of the gourami's or not

15. Dom90

Yep I know that now, thanks!

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    If you do go with rams, trilineatus would need a cooler temp.
    High temp cories are: C. aeneus, sterbai, adolfoi, gossei, duplicareus, and oiapoquensis.

17. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks Anders, I like the Sterbai cories too but I will have to take it into consideration. That's the nice part about letting a tank cycle, I get to just sit around and plan what I am going to put in it lol

18. Dom90

Have you considered a kribensis or two? :D

19. OP
    OP
    D

I'll be adding that beauty to my list, thanks!

20. Dom90