Community Stocking List

1. F

FLOutlander New Member Member

Hello All,

I have a 29 gallon that I will be setting up as a low tech planted tank. Aquaclear 70 filter, 100 watt heater, and stock hood with 24 inch T8 17-20 watt bulb. 3--4 inches of Eco Complete planted with Java Fern, a Sword or two, some anubias, and perhaps one or two more low tech varieties. Would love to find a carpeting plant that doesn't get more than an inch tall. Anyway, I will be adding the following list of fish to the tank once it has cycled. Please advise if you see something out of place or downright wrong.

6 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Green Swordtails (male and female, or both males?)
    4-5 Male Guppies
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Bristlenose Pleco

AqAdvisor says my filtration capacity is 144%, water change schedule is 33%, and stocking level is 107%. A little high, I know, but the live plants should help to offset that a little. This is my first planted tank. Previous tank had plastic plants and gravel. The new tank will also contain a piece of drift wood or perhaps spider wood. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Kinds regards,

Outlander

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome!

You might want to do two male swordtails unless you want lots of fry! The fry may also be eaten off by the other tank mates, so it's more personal preference.

Sounds good to me otherwise! The pleco has a pretty high bioload, but keep on top of water changes and there shouldn't be any issues (especially since you have plants!).

Update us with pics!

3. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

Most carpeting plants are to my knowledge light demanding plants.

Maybe some java moss might work...can make a carpet out of it with some mesh screen.
    But it will grow very slowly and can take a few moths before they fill up the mesh.

Am no expert, but will the swordtail and guppies not spend a lot of tile with the gourami near the surface? If i am not mistaken they swim all over the tank (guppies), but the one in my brothers tank are very often found near the surface.. They are also energetic eaters, while my dwarf gourami is a pretty mellow eater.

My cardinals are most of the time middle-bottom dwellers (and 6 of them is a real minimum).

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

My dwarf gourami swims all over the tank, spending lots of time in the middle and bottom levels too. He's definitely not a mellow eater - he loves food! There's no one in the tank with him, so his voracious appetite isn't from competition...

I don't think the OP will have a problem, but they could always monitor to make sure everyone is getting enough food!

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    The stock is fine, though as mentioned plecos have large bioloads....

6. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

don't get me wrong...mine also swims on all levels...but is for sure the one most often found near the surface.

With the mellow i mean that he is not swimming very fast towards the food, while guppies usually fly to it. But once there he will for sure eat with an appetite and cannot be bullied away very easy.

Together with my GBR he is the first coming near the front when i am near the tank (hoping to get some food).