Community Stocking Advice - 20Long

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello folks, I've narrowed my choice for my 20 gallon long and need some advice on who and how much is a good fit for a happy community tank.

Quick note, this tank will be well planted and will be cycled without fish. Also, I plan to add one or two (depending on the size) upper sumps with filters, bio media, and plants. I would like to add the heater(s) in here so there is less in the tank. The sump(s) will add another 3 to 5 gallons depending on what I use for them. Think DIY fluidized aquaponics.

First off I want to move my 2 nerites over, so they're first on the list.
The fish I am more adamant about are tiger Barbs (x6), and zebra Danios (x6) and Kuhli Loaches (x3). With respect to minimum school numbers, so all are happy, I need a little help drawing the line on who fits. If everybody listed so far fits, GREAT! If there's room for Harlequin Rasboras or Ember Tetras,that would also be fantastic.

Would also appreciate advice on if there are a pair of species that could be problematic from those listed.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I would drop the Tiger Barbs :(
They are fantastic fish to keep, they’re energetic, brilliant feeders and look stunning but a 20 gallon is simply too small for long term success. They grow fairly large and in small groups often decimate each other.
Their notorious nippy nature is completely normal and in small groups individuals often get weeded out.

Personally I would keep more Kuhlis, the difference in behaviour from keeping 2 and 9 was staggering. They’re like normal fish these days, out and about quite often.

Harlequins and Ember Tetra would be fine together, I actually quite like the combo despite their similar colour.

Danios are a cooler water species, while they do fine slightly warmer, maybe take this into consideration when picking tank mates.

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, I would drop the Tiger Barbs :(
They are fantastic fish to keep, they’re energetic, brilliant feeders and look stunning but a 20 gallon is simply too small for long term success. They grow fairly large and in small groups often decimate each other.
Their notorious nippy nature is completely normal and in small groups individuals often get weeded out.

Personally I would keep more Kuhlis, the difference in behaviour from keeping 2 and 9 was staggering. They’re like normal fish these days, out and about quite often.

Harlequins and Ember Tetra would be fine together, I actually quite like the combo despite their similar colour.

Danios are a cooler water species, while they do fine slightly warmer, maybe take this into consideration when picking tank mates.
Thanks for your insight. I had the thought to do an all barb tank but I wanted more variety so it got ruled out. They are nice looking fish, maybe my eyes are bigger than my tank. Lol.

I ruled out the mollies for also liking slightly cooler water and because they prefer softer water and our water here is hard to begin with. But the Danios probably wouldn't be as happy. Bummer because they seem like they would be fun little swimmers. Maybe them and the mollies would be good tsnkmates for a future tank.

The Kuhlis were a last minute find. I hadn't considered them at first but once I did they were a good idea in place of Corys which I m not so find of. :/

So perhaps the list of consideration could be
6x Ember Tetras
6x Harlequins
2x Nerites
?x Kuhli loaches

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You're welcome :)
It's a shame about the Barbs but if you get a larger tank in the future maybe consider them again :D

Mollies are 100% hard water fish, although people may argue a 20 is too small for them, I'm not sure I'm not a big fan of them myself ;)

I'd get larger schools, even in a 20. Around 10 Embers and 8 Harlequins and then a group of 6-8 Kuhlis.
Just a note, these are softer water fish but most tank bred fish will do just fine as long as its not too extreme :D

OP
C

CaptAndrews

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jinjerJOSH22 said:
You're welcome :)
It's a shame about the Barbs but if you get a larger tank in the future maybe consider them again :D

Mollies are 100% hard water fish, although people may argue a 20 is too small for them, I'm not sure I'm not a big fan of them myself ;)

I'd get larger schools, even in a 20. Around 10 Embers and 8 Harlequins and then a group of 6-8 Kuhlis.
Just a note, these are softer water fish but most tank bred fish will do just fine as long as its not too extreme :D
Gotcha, glad to hear it. I have read that almond leaves have the benefit of releases tannins in the water (still have to look into exactly what those are) and I think I read they may help soften the water but it may have been lowering pH. I'll have to check into them but they may be a natural way to help with the water instead of chemicals.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom