Community Of Dwarf And Small Cichlids

NAruto666

Reaction score
I am in my research phase only right now. I am interested in creating an established planted tank and turning it into a community tank for some cichlids. I have not started yet, as I am testing the planted waters with a small betta tank. I've never kept plants before and am trying it to see how I do and if I like it. I have kept larger cichlids ion the past, like Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Firemouths and convicts so that parts nothing new to me. I am curious though, if I were to create a moderate to heavily stocked tank, how many fish and of what kinds would I be able to stock in eather a 46gal bowfront or a 75 gal standard tank. I am leaning towards the bowfront just because I like how they look a little more, but I've read that if both were stocked the same way, the 75gal would be more interesting to watch and they might create their own little natural world vs living side by side with each other.
The fish I am interested in are...
Apistogramma of some kind
Bolivian Rams
Rainbow Cichlids
Blue Acara or Keyhole
Kribensis
small catfish or pleco like a Raphael or Rio-Negro
Possibly some dithers

With those fish in mind, I'm hoping for some suggestions. I would get rid of the Ram before the Apisto, I really like the Apisros, and I am on the Fence about the Kribensis just because its not a South or Central American Cichlid. Like I said, planning and researching only. Thanks guys
Andrew

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apistos are quite peaceful compared to even the rams and there are many different subspecies that wouldn't be too much of a bother in a tank that size. Just understand they are short lived and quite expensive.

OP
NAruto666

NAruto666

Reaction score
Really now?! I've heard stories about Apistos bullying Rams and terrorizing community tanks.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom