Community fish for beginners. Question

1. Buddy Mison Member Member

I'm doing a fish less cycle right now and it's only been 6 days but I want to research already as much as possible on the fish that I would take care of because I want to give them a good life and I don't want to kill them.

So my plan is too keep RCS, a male Betta and Neon tetras.Unfortunately I live in the Philippines and the temperature here is kinda hot and I've read that Neon tetras are very sensitive.

I want to ask if there are other community fish that are easy to take care of that do well or go okay with RCS and a male Betta? If none then I probably will have to do a DIY fan or something too cool the water down.

Thank you for those who can help! :D

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

First off, your Betta is not a good candidate for a community tank. There are some Bettas that are mellow enough to be kept with other fish provided that these are not fin nippers. However, betas have been know to suddenly begin murdering their tank mates even after peaceful cohabitation of several years. Please consider keeping this data by himself in a tank of at least 3 1/2 to up to 10 gallons. You could divide a larger tank provided that you plant or decorate the divider in a way that prevents the Betta from seeing the other fish. This will decrease your Betta's stress.

How warm is your water usually? Do you know the pH and possibly the KH? I would actually set up a small tank of 10 to 20 gallons with little livebearers to keep your Betta entertained. Bettas get bored and benefit from the mental stimulation of observing fish that do not get into their territory.

Neon Tetras do in well and soft, acidic water out of temperature between 74 and 86°F. As long as the temperature does not fluctuate a lot they will be fine in very hot weather. If your water is very hard, then small wild type guppies would do well. Wild reticulata and Wingei (Endler's) can do okay and very warm tanks up to about 84°F. They will not live as long in very warm water, but they will be fine. Do not keep males and females unless you are intending to cull them in some manner.

3. celizabethh3 Member Member

How big is your tank? You could try danios. They're hardy and fun to watch. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. stearnsjg Initiate Member

Don't do danios, they are actually not tropical fish and suffer from extremely shortened life spans when kept in too warm of water.

5. celizabethh3 Member Member

Oh shoot, I misread the temperature or I wouldn't have suggested them. Thanks for correcting me. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Buddy Mison Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tank, my pH is at 7.6 and the temp. is at 84F(28.8 or 29C). I really don't know and don't have a testing kit on water hardness and other stuff only for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, and high range pH.

Thanks for the information I guess I won't be having a betta then.

How bout Cardinal Tetras over Neon Tetras? I have read that they are much hardier compared to the latter. And that they are like the sa as the Neon Tetras so they will also be good with RCS.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

The closer to home you can buy them, the hardier neon Tetras will be. Wild caught ones are quite hardy, but they are hard to find in stores in your area, I am sure, same as where we are. Ours come all the way from Thailand, so they are especially weak by the time they reach us. As for Cardinal Tetras, it is the same issue. But if you have soft, acidic water, that is a large part of the battle in keeping them alive if they survive the quarantine after you bring them home.

Can you get your local water report online? They may be able to give you more information than you can test for easily at home.

8. Buddy Mison Member Member

Thank you sir I'll check it can I ask another question sir?

I'm at my 9th day of fish less cycling and I have 1-2ppm ammonia 0 nitrate and ntirite then 7.6 pH.

I'm putting flakes every 12 hours. I'm just thinking is it okay to add ammonia to help speed things up
    even though it's already the 9th day? Or should I just continue with putting flakes and be patient? =))

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You could switch to ammonia with no problems at all.

10. Buddy Mison Member Member

Thank you sir! :D

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Just make sure that your ammonia has no surfactants. We had a member a few months ago who accidentally used the latter type and have to start all over.

I do not myself have the patience for this type of cycling. Nowadays, I take months-old media from an established, healthy filter and stuff the new filter with it as much as possible. Seeding in this way gives an instant cycle as there should be a sufficient quantity of beneficial bacteria.

12. Buddy Mison Member Member

Red Platy/ Mickey Mouse Platy, Neon Tetras and Red Cherry Shrimps. Are they compatible to one another?

13. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Although I am fairly new at this, I'm almost positive they are compatible. I don't see any problems!

14. Danyboi18 Initiate Member

Yu could always get a female betta they do pretty well with other fish and the betas males do ok with other fish some time just as long as there not fin nipper, colorful and bright

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please, no. Community betas are not the norm. They are a rare gift from the gods and should be appreciated as such even in the event that they do lose their composure and give into their deep rooted need for a bloodbath ;)

Platies would be fine with this pH, but it is higher than I would recommend for neons. I advise against keeping livebearers and Tetras together generally as they have such different hardness needs. However, if the water is sufficient to keep neons alive, then livebearers will generally put up with it. With shorter lived fish, you will probably not notice the difference if it takes a toll on their organs. Neons can live up to 10 years, so you would be better off accommodating them if you can keep them alive, which I have mostly failed to do :(

I would not keep the RCS with any fish that are not proven vegetarians, such as oto cats. But be warned that I do not advise keeping oto cats at all unless you can find ones that are tank bred and you can provide sufficient fresh algae.