Community Fish Dropsy

Waylan

my female betta fish in my community tank has gotten dropsy what could be the cause. she has lost of coloration and started to pine cone. the other fish seem fine and no sign of sickness. any thoughts?

I do not have any other tanks to quarantine

- 15 gal tank

- 1 female betta, 10 guppies, 3 snails, 3 shrimp

0ppm amonia
0ppm nitrite
10-20ppm nitrate

79 - 80 degrees

CheshireKat

Unfortunately, there could be a lot of possible causes since dropsy is a symptom of something else going on. It's not uncommon for one fish to be affected since it's not contagious.
An internal bacterial infection is likely; could also be liver or kidney failure. Without seeing (or being) an aquatic vet, you probably won't know for sure. You can only take steps to try to treat it.

Do Epsom salt baths to reduce internal swelling and draw out any built-up internal fluids. Get a clean tub or container and dissolve about a teaspoon per gallon in treated/conditioned water, then put your betta in for no more than 15 minutes. Do this twice a day.
I'd get another tank or a tub from Walmart or something immediately for quarantine and move your betta in there. Get Kanaplex and start treatment. This will help with any bacterial infections that may be causing the dropsy.

Waylan

Unfortunately, there could be a lot of possible causes since dropsy is a symptom of something else going on. It's not uncommon for one fish to be affected since it's not contagious.
An internal bacterial infection is likely; could also be liver or kidney failure. Without seeing (or being) an aquatic vet, you probably won't know for sure. You can only take steps to try to treat it.

Do Epsom salt baths to reduce internal swelling and draw out any built-up internal fluids. Get a clean tub or container and dissolve about a teaspoon per gallon in treated/conditioned water, then put your betta in for no more than 15 minutes. Do this twice a day.
I'd get another tank or a tub from Walmart or something immediately for quarantine and move your betta in there. Get Kanaplex and start treatment. This will help with any bacterial infections that may be causing the dropsy.
I have gotten a quartine tank that is 2.5 gallons. With the following steps taken will my fish surive? I have heard it is uncurable

CheshireKat

I have gotten a quartine tank that is 2.5 gallons. With the following steps taken will my fish surive? I have heard it is uncurable
I can't guarantee that. Unfortunately, by the time a fish pinecones, it may be too late. The sooner you start treatment, the better. Because we don't know what's going on internally, the outcome is uncertain. If there's an organ failure, treatment can just allow your betta to live a bit longer. But if it's just an internal infection, treatment can clear it up and your betta can be healthy again.
Dropsy, because it's not an illness, is not itself incurable; "curing" dropsy depends on what the actual problem is and if that can be cured or treated.

All you can do is begin treatment immediately and hope that whatever causing dropsy can be treated.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Repolie
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishKeeper44
Replies
Views
NBettas83
Replies