community cichlids

1. s

squirrels New Member Member

Hi does anyone know of any cichlids that can go in a community tank beside angels? Thanks :;fr

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Rams and apistos generally work well in a community tank.

3. angel_scout

angel_scout Well Known Member Member

I,ve heardBlood Red Parrot Cichlids are peacful

4. harpua2002

Parrots aren't great community fish IME. Mine is pretty aggressive toward smaller fish.

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

depends on the size of the tank...if you are talking about your 95L (25g) tank, its already heavily stocked...if you mean another size tank, please let us know :)

6. OP
    OP
    s

squirrels New Member Member

i might be getting another tank the same size as the 95L hope this helps thanks to everyone whose replied! :;hi1

7. harpua2002

In that, case, I'd suggest sticking with dwarf cichlids. :)

If you'd like to take two really different directions with your tanks, you could keep one community tank with South American dwarfs (rams or apistos like I mentioned), tetras, cories, etc. For the other, you could keep a small colony of Tanganyikan shell dwellers (lamprologus multifasciatus, brevis, ocellatus, etc.). The SAs prefer planted tanks, while the Tanganyikans prefer caves, rockwork, and shells to hang out in.

Anyway, just a thought I had. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

allot of us "might" be getting another tank....especially one thats bigger and better for our fin babies....but its best to stock with what you have now, and never rely on "the mights" of the future....it is awful if we stunt the fish that cant get proper growth because something in life comes up, that we didnt expect....(been there and its not fun) if you already have cichlids that need a bigger tank, id try to accommodate them...if you want bigger cichlids than the tank space you have, wait until you can get the tank and not the other way around :)