Community Cichlids - Starter For 10?

A D Knight

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey guys,

I've agreed with my partner that I can get a 5 - 6ft tank for our new extension (result!), which is the good bit. Originally my plan was to set up another saltwater tank; however, I'm giving consideration to some MalawI cichlids instead.

So my question is: What top 10 bits of advice would you give?

What are the easiest fish and the least aggressive (yes, I know aggressive is a relative term here)?
What fish make good community fish?
Should I keep several of each fish, or one of each type?

...so on and so forth. You get the idea!

Cheers,
Andy

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can't give you a few tips, I don't know about 10 lol!

1. Don’t try to mix with community fish
2. I personally recommend keeping only same species together, for example, Peacocks with Peacocks or Mbuna with Mbuna. Peacocks are typically less aggressive of the two. Don’t think that means you can only have one color in your tank, Peacocks especially come in a variety of colors.
3. Pack them tight to lower aggression. In a 55 gallon with good filtration, I’d have 12-15 Peacocks.
4. Beware of hormones. If you see something in the store with ridiculous colors, odds are it was juiced up at the distributor facility and will fade in color.

OP
A D Knight

A D Knight

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AquaticJ said:
I can't give you a few tips, I don't know about 10 lol!

1. Don’t try to mix with community fish
2. I personally recommend keeping only same species together, for example, Peacocks with Peacocks or Mbuna with Mbuna. Peacocks are typically less aggressive of the two. Don’t think that means you can only have one color in your tank, Peacocks especially come in a variety of colors.
3. Pack them tight to lower aggression. In a 55 gallon with good filtration, I’d have 12-15 Peacocks.
4. Beware of hormones. If you see something in the store with ridiculous colors, odds are it was juiced up at the distributor facility and will fade in color.
Okay. So, I'd read that MalawI cichlids should only be kept with MalawI cichlids. Does this mean fish from the other lakes can be mixed together? If so, would that be better perhaps?

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do not mix lakes. Chemistry wise they are similar but personality they are diffrent and aggression will peak.

OP
A D Knight

A D Knight

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NavyChief20 said:
Do not mix lakes. Chemistry wise they are similar but personality they are diffrent and aggression will peak.
Fair enough. In which case I guess the question is which lakes tend to have the most docile fish?

I still think I'm leaning towards marine at this point, but as I've never owned anything other than South American dwarf species, I thought I'd like to give these guys a go.

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have malawi, Victoria and tanganyika for my african tanks. My peacocks are really active and fun but my mbuna are really cool. Lots of aggression and attitude.

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Me thinks my Africans are mixed. Love their colors and different personalities, but they all get along pretty well in a 40gal. Getting a 75gal ready to rehome them so they can stretch their fins, lol

New Threads