Community breeding idea/your ideas

MoshJosh

Aquarium Coop did a bit about a breeding for profit tank. 20 gallons with fancy guppies, cherry shrimp, and snails. . . sounds good to me.

But I was wondering what other combos might work and allow multiple species to reproduce in the same tank with minimal casualties?

I am trying to get back into apistos and was wondering what else I could breed in the same tank. . . I'd really like to breed plecos (Hypancistrus). Both apistos and plecos inhabit the bottom of the tank though, but how much would they prey on each others fry??? Also maybe some type of Killifish breeding in the top water???

What are your thoughts on my idea. Thoughts on community tank breeding. What would you breed in the same tank?

Flyfisha

Nothing is the short answer.
Fish eat fish .
You can however have spawning mops in a community tank and move them into another tank / container every 14 days or so. The same with any fry that hatch out of eggs.
I just can’t see it being possible to feed fry multiple times a day in a tank with adult fish.
Also it’s extremely necessary to do multiple water changes in fry tanks. Therefore a smaller container is more logical than a big tank. Cleaning the extra poop and wasted food in a fry tank is not as important as removing hormones but even that can’t be done as easily in a tank with adult fish.

I have watched many videos and have a lot of time for Cory but even juvenile guppies are going the make short work of their very young brothers and sisters in my opinion?

I moved a mop from a rice fish tank yesterday into this bucket. Today less than 20 hours later I counted 12 day old fry the size of a babies eyelashes.
image.jpg

I have no experience with mystery snails but they seem to reproduce regardless of adult fish ?
Plants would be an obvious choice? Cory even sells duckweed LOL. That’s capitalism for you.

MoshJosh

Yes, I’ve used mops before, more effective in species only tanks in my experience. I still got eggs from my ricefish and rainbows, but it SEEMED like they were eating each other’s eggs, so I had smaller yields. . . So when I go back to breeding ricefish in the spring I will probably do species only. . .

But I guess if I was going to try "community breeding" I wouldn't necessarily be looking for highest yield, just some yield with cool fish I enjoy.

Zach72202

When it comes to breeding multiple species in the same tank you'll most likely run into either cannibalism or aggression.

If the parents don't eat their own fry, if there are tankmates they will probably try to kill the tankmates.

The main thing I could see working is something like plecos and a livebearer. Two indiscriminately derpy fish where they don't really care about each other, but waste would become an issue.

What I would recommend is colony breeding something like shell dwellers or pygmy corydoras can be colony bred.

MoshJosh

Well I guess just Apistos it is. . . haha

thanks for the advice/info!!!

MacZ

Well I guess just Apistos it is. . . haha

thanks for the advice/info!!!
Only combo possible: Apistos and Pencilfish. Pencils usually stay too high up in the tank and have too small mouths to get the Apisto fry.

But for real success with them, I'd do a species only tank. Also very helpful with Apistos is being able to separate them at any given time. Otherwise one might lose one of the fish due aggression.

I'd really like to breed plecos (Hypancistrus). Both apistos and plecos inhabit the bottom of the tank though, but how much would they prey on each others fry?
You wouldn't even get them to spawn together, let alone successful breeding. There is no Apisto species that is commonly availabe that could live with most Hypancistrus species.

MoshJosh

Only combo possible: Apistos and Pencilfish. Pencils usually stay too high up in the tank and have too small mouths to get the Apisto fry.

But for real success with them, I'd do a species only tank. Also very helpful with Apistos is being able to separate them at any given time. Otherwise one might lose one of the fish due aggression.

You wouldn't even get them to spawn together, let alone successful breeding. There is no Apisto species that is commonly availabe that could live with most Hypancistrus species.
I do like pencil fish haha but I'm starting to think species only is the way to go. Thanks!!!

MacZ

You're welcome.

Still make sure to have either a minimum footprint of 80x30cm or a second tank for separation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
mach6
Replies
Views
Feohw
  • Question