Community aquarium stocking advice

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by LilChicken, Jul 31, 2015.

1. LilChicken

LilChicken Valued Member Member

I apologize in advance, I'm new and I have many different questions and was not entirely sure where to post this at. Thank you for understanding!

Down to business :D.
    I have a 48 x 18 x 21 tank (approx 78.5 gallons by my calculation) that I just started cycling using Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 (from an established tank so lots of good bacteria) which I know is too small for when I have fish in so I plan on getting the Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/70 as well in addition to either an air pump or bubble wand. My stocking plan for this tank is as follows:
    5 purple harlequin rasboras
    5 zebra danio
    5 serpae tetras
    5 pearl danios
    5 scissortail rasbora
    5 glowlight tetras
    possibly cardinal tetras
    and about 10 cory catfish

I know my water parameters need to be ph 6.5 to 7 and temp 75F to 78F but a little lost on everything else.

My questions are:

How quickly will my tank cycle considering that I'm using a filter from an older tank? I've read that it's instant but that seems too good to be true.

Is 2 200 w heaters too much or not enough?

Should I go with bubble wands or the air pump?

AND will my selection of fish work in my tank? I would really like to see small schools of many different types of fish.

Also, as far as cories I currently have peppered cories and emerald cories that I would like to add if they will fit, I'd like the main focus of my stocking to be on the cories as they are my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Your water parameters don't need to be at a pH of 6.5-7. What is your pH out of the tap? It should be fine for all of your fish even if it's at 8 or something like that.
    I would leave the cardinal tetras out as they need warmer water than danios. Neon tetras would work though. I would keep the temp at 75.

With cories, make sure they aren't a type that needs warmer water, peppered or emerald should be fine though.

3. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Thank you for welcoming me. My ph out of the tap is 8.2 but I treat my water before adding to the tank to be about 7.3.

4. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Any ideas on the other stuff? I'm mostly curious about the cycling now as I'm anxious to add fish but what to do what's best for them.

5. Anders247

I would not be messing with the pH. That will stress out your fish. Leave it as is and don't treat it, changing pH can cause more harm than good.

6. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

Coradee I've heard you are the cory queen and was wondering if you could suggest a couple types of corys that would enjoy 75 degrees. I would mu ch appreciate any advice from your majesty :D

7. Anders247

Panda cories, trilineatus, julii (if you can find them), aeneus will work, from what I've seen on here.... Coradee will know better than I.

8. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Hey LilChicken - welcome to the forum! When you say you are cycling with the little filter - are you adding an ammonia source to the tank since there are no fish?

Also - if you would be willing to cut back your stock by one or two types, you could up your shoals to 7 or 8 each, which can make a big difference in seeing more natural behavior from your fish.

9. NinjaTetra

NinjaTetra Well Known Member Member

Personally, I think that if you have tank capacity for it, its cool to have a couple really large mid-dwelling schools like tetras or danios, something like corys or some other bottom dwellers, and a mid-sized school of top-dwellers like rasboras or hatchetfish, and lastly, a larger and stunning centerpiece fish. This combination can definitely be altered to work for most tanks, but tends to keep the eye busy in all areas of the tank. Just a suggestion :) Schools of 9-15 can give a really amazing look to a big tank.

~ <-----thats one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

10. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

@Gvilleguy Thank you! and no I'm not adding any ammonia source as I read and was told that you can instantly cycle the tank by using a filter from an established tank, which I did. I did test my water and then have the LFS test as well (mine doesnt use test strips) and we got the same results. They told me my water was perfect so my husband added a few bluegill that he caught to the tank, not knowing any better. (here's hoping it didn't screw the whole thing up).

Also I'm definitely willing to cut back I'm just busy looking at what exactly to cut lol I want the main focus to be the cories with just a few other fish to bring life to the middle and top of the tank. The stocking above was my solution after seeing a fish pack sold by thatpetplace.com. I'm even willing to scratch the whole thing entirely (except the cories). I'm still a good few weeks away from adding any fish that will stay in the aquarium.

@NinjaTetra what kind of centerpiece fish would work well with the above combo?

I can split this up across this and the new 20g long that I just got. MTS and I've just begun lol

After looking over the fish I think I'll cut the scissortails and serpaes from my list.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  11. NinjaTetra

Things like gouramis are great centerpiece fish. Keep in mind that that previous post was a suggestion and is largely how I like to see fish. Angelfish MAY work but thats something I don't have experience with. Pearl gouramis are my personal favorite, but moonlight gouramis look great, and theres all sorts of other kinds of gouramis that look amazing. Dwarf cichlids like german blue rams or kribensis look good although may be a little territorial. Theres quite a few options.

12. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

I've been eyeing a powder blue dwarf gourami, would that work?

13. NinjaTetra

It should work! Make sure theres no aggression. I had one once with a couple platys, it was really beautiful but I'm pretty sure it ate one of them. Either that or the platy was abducted by aliens. I think I just happened to choose an individual with a nasty personality. Powder blues are really pretty for sure! With large schools of ur other fish, its less likely any aggression would show.

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Like Ninja said, gourami's are great centerpiece fish. Some are pretty aggressive so you'd want to stay away from them but Pearl, Thicklipped (sunset), Moonlight, banded, honey, and dwarf are all great

The limitation with dwarf gourami's are that the most colorful ones are male and they are probably the most aggressive out of the peaceful gourami's. In a 75 gallon I doubt you would have any problems but just be aware it's possible. Being that 99% of the ones in pet stores are male, you will likely only be able to keep 1 because you don't want to put more than 1 male in a tank. With a 75 gallon tank you may be able to try and have success but just be aware it's possible they will fight. People on these forums have had success keeping multiple males but there is risk.

With gourami's like Pearl, moonlight, and sunset, the females are much easier to find so you can do 2 or 3 of those in a 75 gallon with no problem. I personally own 2 female sunset gourami's and they are seriously my favorite fish. One (in my avatar pic) eats out of my hands and allows me to pet her. Can't say that's typical of the breed but I have to give them a plug :)

Dwarf cichlids like rams (gold, electric blue, german blue), bolivian rams, kribs, curviceps/dorsigera, and many others are also great centerpiece fish. Just know the majority of them will show varying degrees of aggression during spawning if you keep a pair. Also they are kind of like dwarf gourami's. The chance of you getting an aggressive individual seems higher than some of the more peaceful gourami. I had a bolivian ram that I had to rehome because she turned out to be super aggressive, which is not the norm for the species.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I have two gouramis in my 75g, a male dwarf gourami and an unsexed paradise gourami and I have no aggression issues. Also have an angelfish and two kribs and everyone is cool with one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A lot of corys would be quite happy at that temperature, aenus (bronze or albino), metae (bandit), trilineatus (often sold as Julii), pandas, arcuatus (skunk), Schultzei (black) to name just a few

17. Gvilleguy

Yes, in theory (and most likely, in reality), if you took an established Aqueon QF 10 and moved it to the new tank, then the new tank is cycled to handle however many fish the old tank was handling. But just testing the water does not tell you if it is cycled. You would have to test the filter in the new tank by adding an ammonia source of either:

1. Ammonia from a bottle, or
    2. Actual fish, which you have done

So what you would want to do now is test your tank water every few days to make sure that:

1. Ammonia = 0
    2. Nitrite = 0
    3. Nitrates > 0

If your water stats remain stable, then you can start slowly adding additional stock.

18. NinjaTetra

My bolivian ram (not sure on gender) has been super peaceful and the only issue was that it and my clown pleco had to figure out territorys for the first couple days, so I'd personally recommend them. It comes to the front of the tank when I walk into the room, whereas my pearl gourami is a bit shy.

19. Gvilleguy

+1 on Bolivian Rams. Very peaceful in community except to their own kind (unless mated).

20. OP
    OP
    LilChicken

First of all I want to thank everyone for all the great suggestions. However, I'm torn between a powder blue dwarf gourami and and electric blue ram. Can they live peacefully together or is it a one-or-another type thing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice