common pond snail and the puffer

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by PuffPuff, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with glofish and mickey mouse platty's. i have a second tank with a figure 8 puffer fish. a very small figure 8 puffer fish about half an inch to be exact. can i just get a couple of common pond snail and throw them into my 20g freshwater and have them breed or will that be a bad idea. dont want to destroy my 20g with these common pond snail.

2. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Is your Figure 8 in brackish water? If it is, then I'm pretty sure the snails won't survive. But normally, I'm all about snails, plus it'd be free food for your puffer. Not sure a full sized Figure 8 would eat little pond snails, but I have no experience with that, just my 2 cents. You could get ramshorn snails and put them in your other tank to breed and just pick them out when needed. I wouldn't imagine the glofish or platties going after them.

3. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

if i get a couple ramshorn snails like 4 throw them in my freshwater tank i should be okay. i have a pleco and so i have algae waffers. i heard thats a good foo source for the snails.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice