common pond snail and the puffer

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by PuffPuff, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with glofish and mickey mouse platty's. i have a second tank with a figure 8 puffer fish. a very small figure 8 puffer fish about half an inch to be exact. can i just get a couple of common pond snail and throw them into my 20g freshwater and have them breed or will that be a bad idea. dont want to destroy my 20g with these common pond snail.

2. MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Is your Figure 8 in brackish water? If it is, then I'm pretty sure the snails won't survive. But normally, I'm all about snails, plus it'd be free food for your puffer. Not sure a full sized Figure 8 would eat little pond snails, but I have no experience with that, just my 2 cents. You could get ramshorn snails and put them in your other tank to breed and just pick them out when needed. I wouldn't imagine the glofish or platties going after them.

3. PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

if i get a couple ramshorn snails like 4 throw them in my freshwater tank i should be okay. i have a pleco and so i have algae waffers. i heard thats a good foo source for the snails.