Common pleco turned a lighter color

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by aquariumgirl lauren, Apr 5, 2010.

1. a

aquariumgirl lauren Valued Member Member

I have this common pleco that used to be a really dark brown and while I was dropping an algae wafer in the water, the pleco came to eat it and I noticed it was a light brown almost goldish. What caused this?

2. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

My pleco started to get lighter before I gave him away.
    I think its due to stress.
    May be my arowana was picking in him.

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I see you have him in a 26g tank. How big is he? How long have you had him?

Also, if you could list your water parameters, it would help us figure out what's wrong with him.

4. OP
    OP
    a

aquariumgirl lauren Valued Member Member

Right now he is about 4 inches and I have had him for about 1 1/2 months. As for the water parameters I don't have a test kit yet, but I'm planning on getting one soon and as soon as I have the parameters I will post it. I also put in three emerald cories and they compete for the algae wafers a lot, that could be stressing my pleco.

5. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

My sailfin plecos change color depending on mood and environment. When they are against the black liner of my pond, they are nearly black. When they are against the red rock on the pond shelf, they are a lighter color. When they are among the roots of the lilies, they are a mottled brown/gray with darker and lighter patterning. When they are in the house (for the winter) where there is an area that is almost white, they are a very very light tan with darker stripes/spots. I think they must have some chameleon blood in them...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice