Common Pleco Species Id

1. Miles Green

Miles Green Valued Member Member

Hello friends,
    Can you help me with an exact ID of my common pleco? I've had him for about 3 months, we're really fond of him, and he'll eat his cucumber right out of my hand. He's doubled in size since I got him, he's about 10 cm now.
    I plan on getting a new tank for him, a juwel 450 litre bowfront. Getting something bigger gets exponentially more expensive, so I hope it will be enough... I really doubt he'll end up somewhere better if I send him back to the store... But how big will he get? 30cm? 45? 60???

Here are some pictures.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hypostomus Plecostomous is the scientific name. They can grow to up to 24 inches (61cm).

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely a Pterygoplichthys species (more than 10 dorsal rays), appears to be P. parnaibae, but I'm only about 80% sure of that one. Certainly not the common gibbiceps, nor does it have the patterns of joselimaianus. Not exactly a good match to any described species, but I'd put it closest to parnaibae, which gets about 11-12 inches, roughly 30cm.

4. OP
    OP
    Miles Green

Miles Green Valued Member Member

Thank you for your replies. Chromdome52, the online pictures of the Pterygoplichthys parnaibae look very much like mine, with very similar patterns and a tall, almost shark-like dorsal fin, with 11 rays. I think that's the one, thank you for your help!