Common Pleco Species Id

1. Miles Green Initiate Member

Hello friends,
    Can you help me with an exact ID of my common pleco? I've had him for about 3 months, we're really fond of him, and he'll eat his cucumber right out of my hand. He's doubled in size since I got him, he's about 10 cm now.
    I plan on getting a new tank for him, a juwel 450 litre bowfront. Getting something bigger gets exponentially more expensive, so I hope it will be enough... I really doubt he'll end up somewhere better if I send him back to the store... But how big will he get? 30cm? 45? 60???

Here are some pictures.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hypostomus Plecostomous is the scientific name. They can grow to up to 24 inches (61cm).

3. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely a Pterygoplichthys species (more than 10 dorsal rays), appears to be P. parnaibae, but I'm only about 80% sure of that one. Certainly not the common gibbiceps, nor does it have the patterns of joselimaianus. Not exactly a good match to any described species, but I'd put it closest to parnaibae, which gets about 11-12 inches, roughly 30cm.

4. Miles Green Initiate Member

Thank you for your replies. Chromdome52, the online pictures of the Pterygoplichthys parnaibae look very much like mine, with very similar patterns and a tall, almost shark-like dorsal fin, with 11 rays. I think that's the one, thank you for your help!