Common Pleco Outdoor Uk Pond Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by SuperD14, Jul 20, 2019.

1. SuperD14

SuperD14Valued MemberMember

Could I keep a common pleco in an outdoor uk pond in the summer? Temperature is about 20-22 degrees Celsius and there’s plenty of food in there for it to eat. If I were to do this would I be able to move it indoors to a tropical tank for the summer?

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

probably, but it'll get huge.

3. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn’t. That’s right at the lower limit for a common plec. It would be very sluggish and slow growing.... and it gets colder at night... it would just get white spot imo, or worse.

4. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

It’s two feet deep if that makes any difference?

5. PascalKrypt

PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Not sure what kind of technology you plan on using but I don't think outdoor ponds can generally maintain a temperature with a potential 30 degrees difference between water and air/ground temperatures... unless you live on a tropical island that also happens to be abbreviated as U.K. this is probably not a feasible idea.

Edit: Now I'm confused. I reread and you plan on only keeping it outdoors in the summer, but also ask if you can move it into an indoor tank in the summer... so when exactly do you plan to keep it outdoors? Moving it a lot is probably a bad idea, and even in summer outdoor temperatures are way too low for tropical fish. I live across the channel and even in the past two weeks we've had near freezing temperatures at night. The water temp of a larger/deeper pond would not be the outdoor temperature at the hottest point of the day but the average of day and night temperatures which I doubt is a consistent 22 degrees or warmer.
    I understand it is a very attractive idea to have an outdoor pond but you should really stick to coldwater fish in these regions.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

The water here hasn’t neared freezing since March, I meant to say it would move to an indoor tank for winter

7. PascalKrypt

PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Fair enough.

My point still stands though, be careful to consider the average day+night high to low temperature instead of just going by reported day temperatures (which are usually max. temps). I checked out the local weather in London for today and it says max. 24 degrees, min. 14 degrees at night. That gives an average of about 19 degrees, which is too cold for a pleco. The whole of last week was like that. Next week looks more promising with the temperatures well into the 20s. It depends, if you know average temps (including night) temps are in the mid 20s for several weeks you could go for it, but that usually isn't kept up for more than a few weeks a year and you'd risk your pleco's health if you misjudge.

8. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

It’s not my pleco, it’s a large lfs which one of the workers saw a person about to release it into a river and said he would take it to the shop. I was just wondering as they said I could take it free and it’s been here weeks with no interest.

9. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

No, obviously this would be impossible. The rivers of South America to which plecos are endemic are heated by massive natural gas burners which maintain a constant water temperature of precisely 25,2 C across the entire range, year round, night and day. Everyone knows this, don't be silly.

I think the biggest problem would be finding a place to put it in the winter, they get huge and territorial. But if you've got that figured out, I'd say it's worth a try.

10. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

5ft aquarium which is very lightly stocked

11. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

Then you've got one problem left to solve: who is the poor soul that goes into the pond to fish out a 50cm long armored catfish.

12. OP
    OP
    SuperD14

Well that would be me of course considering I’m the only poor soul doing anything in the pond