Common Pleco Behind Filter Stem

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have got a pleco about 3 weeks ago and it is awsome. But one thing is that I can barely ever see it. it is always behind my filter stem thing and it just never comes out! It only come out during the night and when I drop and algae tablet in during the night I'm not sure if he is eating it or if its just dissolving into the water. is there a way to make him come out more during the day because I always see plecos in pictures out during the day but I feel mine might be diffrent. I know they are nocturnal but I just hope he could come out more during the day.

Please Answer

Ty

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you have to remember that hes a catfish and is nocturnal as he gets bigger he may come out more but he also is probly goin to eat that algaea wafer unless u are seein the crumbled remains in your substrate I wouldnt worry u should consider moving your balla and pleco into the 50 gal asap as they need at least that much room

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plecos will come out more when they have settled into the tank. It might take a few months. If it's always hiding behind the filter intake, I wonder if the tank has a cave for it. Often fish use filters and heaters as cover when there isn't adequate cover in the tank.

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So you think I should just leave it in here and give it some time?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah. Does it have a place to hide in the tank? With shy fish, having places to hide will actually cause them to be out and about more.

I just noticed the pleco is in a 10 gallon. There are plecos that are better suited to smaller tanks. IMO the best thing for you to do is rehome the pleco. It's going to outgrow the 10 very quickly and even the 50 gallon. Also, as it outgrows the 10 it will get harder to maintain water quality.

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no I don't have places to hide all I have is rock and some fake plantsim

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you can, I would move him to the 50 gallon if its cycled.

I think that they can be very shy if they are surrounded by larger fish (assuming hes tiny) and its nothing to worry about!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
samamr said:
no I don't have places to hide all I have is rock and some fake plantsim
That's why it's hiding behind the filter intake - the only place in the tank where you can't see it

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea my usds are the same they just gott hide for a few hours then come out for a few mins it part of the fun imo if you like the way they look get a bristle nose

samamr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
O0yallyall1 he is surounded by 3 inch fish not anything huge and my 50 gallon is not cycled I jost got 3 days ago

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads