Common pleco alternative.

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sick and tired of my cp's aggression and uprooting of my plants every night. He is going asap, what is a good alternative that doesn't get big and won't uproot all my plants? Doesnt even have to be a pleco. I just want it to eat algae and be nice and small

AquaticBrandon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah I remember when I had a common pleco. That thing was getting pretty big and would knock off rocks and sometimes uproot my plants. What about a BN pleco? I have one and he isn't a problem with my plants .

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
School of Siamese Algae Eaters, they eat all kinds of algae. They actually will eat stuff off the plants and keep them clean too.

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dom90 said:
School of Siamese Algae Eaters, they eat all kinds of algae. They actually will eat stuff off the plants and keep them clean too.
Refuse to mess with those. I always hear bad things about them. Otos are fine. But not true cae's.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MatthewM said:
Refuse to mess with those. I always hear bad things about them. Otos are fine. But not true cae's.
You are probably thinking of the False SAEs, the Chinese Algae Eaters. Those get aggressive as they age and will eat the slime coat off other fish. The true SAEs, on the other hand, are passive and just keep to themselves and eat algae, they don't bother other fish. I have six of them so I have first-hand experience.

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just don't like the looks of them :/ albino at least. That's all I ever see is albino. What about other fancy plecos? (I'm referring to bn pleco btw)

OP
MatthewM

MatthewM

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anders247 said:
This the the 75? Green phantoms if you can afford them.
How about blue? The store I go to has blue, and all kinds of expensive other fancy's. I'm willing to pay.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anders247 said:
This the the 75? Green phantoms if you can afford them.
Whoa never seen a pleco in another color before other than the standard brown/orange tint.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Personally, I would not do snails in a big tank like a 75g. There's some pretty big fish in there

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MatthewM said:
What bad things have you heard about SAE's? I wouldn't have a planted tank without them myself.

New Threads