Common Occurrence? Tap Tap....

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So I'm a very private person, I get a lot more enjoyment out of my dog and my tanks than I feel like I could ever get out of most humans around, that aside I don't have many people over, but since moving into town, more people are around and its also the smallest place I've ever been in so my tanks were always off away from most traffic. Well this has now changed. The few people I've had over are just drawn to my tank and .....tap tap tap! Tapping on aquariums has always been a pet peeve of mine. One time I was in the LFS and I saw a kid open palm with all his strength slap a tank! Let's just say I was very close to slapping him! It's something that I absolutely hate and everyone that seems to come to my house has to do the initial tap tap tap! Of course I always tactfully comment and they usually don't do it again, but geesh anyone else have this happen to them? lol

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

For new comers into my home, my first words are a greeting along with a stern and serious statement of Don't Touch The Tanks!

3. DaniosRock Member Member

Just like people who touch a woman's pregnant belly, it's like they lose their curtesy and think it's all public property.

4. Griffmeister12 Initiate Member

I hate when people tap on tanks. I usually tell people when I see them do it in stores and I always tell people not to tap on my tanks

5. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Ill tap on tanks in stores to get fish to swim around to make sure they're healthy and don't have any injuries but tapping for the sake of tapping is a different story and i cant stand it.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

We have a pet peeve in common! I do not do finger prints on my tank glass period! lol Just look, but do not touch! I do not allow children around my tanks unless they are with their parents. If the parents cannot control their children then I will ask them to leave.

Do not, bang on my tank! :)

Ken

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

THIS is exactly what I thought of when I was writing this up....that it's JUST like a pregnant womens belly!!

I feel like its along the same lines of walking up to someone you've never met and tappin right in between their eyes! Ping Ping ping!
    Can't imagine fish finding it any more pleasant lol

8. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have a 14 month old that has never tapped a single one of our 16 tanks... When his friends do he says "no drum"

If he gets it, it can't be that hard!x

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

Very true! I've had a few kids and I tell them once....However the 40 and older crowd seems takes a few more friendly reminders hahah ;)

I have crazy reflexes when it comes to my animals so any one viewing them is at risk. I had hamsters when I was 9, my older sisters friend came over and was holding one and tried to balance it on his head, it fell off, first and only instinct was to grab the hamster make sure it was okay & then slap my sister's friend & walk away!
    :;smack

hahah :whistling:

10. Slug Well Known Member Member

I think it depends on how they are tapping. Tapping with a light touch and the fingernail can get fish to swim a bit for better viewing and sometimes they will investigate the noise. I do this sometimes at discus shows when the fish is turned so I cannot take photos of it. Fish dependent of course. A full on knuckle tap or slapping the tank.....no, never.

11. Jim Well Known Member Member

16--- Wow ----!!!!!

12. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Very true! Bobbie often shouts at my mum "NO DRUM!!" and she'll stroke his head, I have to remind her that he's telling her off and she should do what she's told :D

Good on you for slapping the friend by the way, not that I condone violence but.... ;)!xx