Common nursery ferns for tank

SpecialPatrolGroup

In my parts it's pretty hard to come by proper aquatic ferns so I was wondering if there are any common ferns you'd find in a garden centre that I could use?

Or, really, any common nursery "land" plant?

I've googled this to no avail, it's very annoying.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I can use these:

- Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata)
- Birds Nest Fern (Asplenium nidus)
- Maidenhair (Adiantum)

I've read also that bromeliads can survive in tanks and they are super cool. Is that true?

adumsoza

I am pretty sure Boston Fern is aquatic.

SpecialPatrolGroup

I am pretty sure Boston Fern is aquatic.
I've seen it in so many aquarium videos but very little info out there!

PeterFishKeepin

I've got zero experience with these plants but I've seen in vids and online and other places that maidenhair works and Boston aswell haven't heard of birds nest before. Most of luck let us know how u go

Mudminnow

We had a bunch of Boston ferns growing invasively down in Florida. They would grow down to the water, but I never saw them growing in it.

Maidenhair ferns like moist shady places. I've seen them growing under an oak forest canopy in California. But, again, I've never seen them growing under the water.

I've killed a birdnest fern in my house because I overwatered it. So, I doubt it would do well under water.

Given the above, I don't think any of the ferns you mentioned will last long under water. Perhaps you could order some true aquatic ferns in the mail.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
psalm18.2
Replies
Views
Eienna
  • Question
Replies
Views
Katie Dawn
Replies