Common Goldfish In Need

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lackess, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Lackess

Lackess New Member Member

I was at Walmart today getting food for my cats and happened to walk past the fish. A little gold fish caught my eye and his tail fin was completely ripped off. Nothing but a nub. I don't own a tank but my heart goes out for the little guy. I want to buy a tank and get him out, but that are his prospects of living? I have a little knowledge about fish, like gold fish produce a lot of waste so they need large tanks. But how long will the water need to cycle before it's safe to put him in? He's a very little common gold fish, will a 10 gal tank be enough?

2. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

No commons get over a foot big and need 150g+

3. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Those tanks aren't well maintained, so in all honesty, it'll probably be dead within a week, if it makes it that long

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately a 10g wouldn't be enough space for him , they really do need 150g+ and do much better in ponds.

If you know someone with a pond , you could house him in a 10g for a few weeks while his tail gets better , then rehome him to a pond.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Agree the OP should use the 10g to quaritine him then when he is all better and healthy find someone that has a pond for the Gold fish.

6. Mothercrow

Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

You have a lot of options when it comes to goldfish, even if they're just little commons. I am fish-sitting for two commons that are in a 10g. They used to share that tank with a betta, so it was divided into five gallons for them and five for the betta. I know that these fish are over a year old, because the owner rescued hers from the same event that I rescued mine. The biggest one has to be about 4 inches long. I don't approve of this setup, but they are surviving and healthy in it. My commons are in a 40g, and they're far more active but not as big as the two in the 10g. Go figure.

Before you go any further, consider this: goldfish can live 30 years. Most captive goldfish don't, because of sub-optimal care. Depending on food, water quality, genes, etc., common goldfish can get to be 12 inches long. Because commons are considered feeder fish, they aren't well taken care of at the store, and you should treat for parasites with Praziquantel, at the very least. Goldfish are "loose shoalers", which means that they don't need a school, but would be happier with at least one companion. They forage constantly, so they will pull up plants, decorations, and throw any gravel you have around the tank. They require large water changes weekly, or smaller water changes daily. Knowing all of this, are you ready for the commitment?

Goldfish are big waste producers, and the bigger the tank that you can get them in, the healthier they will be. You should also make sure that your filter runs 10x what your tank holds--so for a ten gallon, you want a filter that says it filters 100 gallons per hour or more. Most goldfish keepers double up on filtration--there's no such thing as too much filtration with goldfish.

If you have room for it, you can make an indoor pond for pretty much what you'd spend on a tank. The greater surface area is better for your fish, and they'll be more active if they have lots of horizontal space than if they have a deeper tank. If you look up indoor ponds on YouTube, you can see some pretty great setups. I was told by a very experienced goldfish keeper that you can make an indoor pond with the SAMLA Box with lid, clear - clear - 30 ¾x22x7 "/15 gallon - IKEA
      and keep two commons in it. I believe she said that she uses sponge filters with hers.

Also, you need a liquid test kit more than ever with commons. Knowing how quickly they build up nitrates will help you figure out how many water changes you need every week. A test kit will be useful in doing a fish-in cycle if you decide to get the fish.

Good luck, I hope this helped, let us know what you decide to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice