Commentary on current owned loaches

jake37

I've always liked loaches and in my 120 currently have the following:
5 zebra
4+1 clowns (will explain)
10 kuhli
5 gold zebra
----
Zebra - these will purchased full grown. One is pretty out going and for a long time would nest in the jungle val by itself - it still spends a lot of time up there - probably because food gets trap due to current flow. Three will occasionally come out together and the 5th I almost never see. One exception when I feed bloodworms - 4 of them will come up to the top to grab their fair share while I'm feeding.
-
Clown - I started with 3 and a week later picked up a 4th - the 4th one almost never comes out - the other three are extremely skittish - they will school with the 'leader' who determines if they come out or run and hide (walking across the room triggers a run and hide). They all started between 1.5 and 2.5 inches long and the largest is now topping 5 inches and the other 2 are 3 1/2 to 4 inches long - the 4th is around 3 or 3 1/2. Last week I picked up a 5th who is around 1.5 or 2 inches long - it is extremely out going and almost never hides.
-
The clowns frequently hang with the zebra and have no problem with the gold zebra.
-
The gold zebra were purchased about 6 weeks ago at around 3/4 to 1 inch - I put them in a 29 with some guppies to get them up to 2+ inches (there is one runt who is still around 1.5 and the largest might be 2 1/2 to nearly 3 inches long - but all of them are slim). Even though I spent more than an hour chasing them in the 29 (to catch them) 4 of them are very out going and frequently show off regardless of what I am doing - they like to the kuhlI dance of swimming up and down the glass - one of them almost never hangs out with the other 4 and 1 of them sometimes join in and sometimes goes off (the largest one is frequently off on its own). I know these are still very young and not sure how their behavior will change as they get older but so far they have been both interesting and good guest (I hear they can sometime be problematic).
-
The kuhlI are the kuhlI - right now they are in their hiding phase but sometimes they come out and play - there was one period about 1.5 months ago where 8 of them suddenly decided to do the kuhlI dance and did so for 3 or 4 weeks fairly continously (even the one htat had stayed hidden for 7 or 8 months) - and then one day they suddenly stopped and went back into hiding.
-
I keep being hopeful that as the clowns get larger they will stop being so skittish but not sure that will happen.
----
The one loach I want to add is kubotaI loaches - but I think that is the last loach on my list to try...
-
I've had clowns when I was in college many years ago (well 2 and they were fairly out going) - and I've had some kuhlI since being a little kid but never more than 2.
-
I should mention that the clowns love zuc. I put it in for the bn plecos (have 2) and they seem to end up eating most of it - gold zebra will also munch on it - zebra not so much.
-
Right now i'm mostly fascinated by the golds - mostly because they are most active - right now I have 4 of them surfing in front of me with a small (nickel?) size angel trying to figure out what they are doing and in effect surfing with them....

Momgoose56

I've always liked loaches and in my 120 currently have the following:
5 zebra
4+1 clowns (will explain)
10 kuhli
5 gold zebra
----
Zebra - these will purchased full grown. One is pretty out going and for a long time would nest in the jungle val by itself - it still spends a lot of time up there - probably because food gets trap due to current flow. Three will occasionally come out together and the 5th I almost never see. One exception when I feed bloodworms - 4 of them will come up to the top to grab their fair share while I'm feeding.
-
Clown - I started with 3 and a week later picked up a 4th - the 4th one almost never comes out - the other three are extremely skittish - they will school with the 'leader' who determines if they come out or run and hide (walking across the room triggers a run and hide). They all started between 1.5 and 2.5 inches long and the largest is now topping 5 inches and the other 2 are 3 1/2 to 4 inches long - the 4th is around 3 or 3 1/2. Last week I picked up a 5th who is around 1.5 or 2 inches long - it is extremely out going and almost never hides.
-
The clowns frequently hang with the zebra and have no problem with the gold zebra.
-
The gold zebra were purchased about 6 weeks ago at around 3/4 to 1 inch - I put them in a 29 with some guppies to get them up to 2+ inches (there is one runt who is still around 1.5 and the largest might be 2 1/2 to nearly 3 inches long - but all of them are slim). Even though I spent more than an hour chasing them in the 29 (to catch them) 4 of them are very out going and frequently show off regardless of what I am doing - they like to the kuhlI dance of swimming up and down the glass - one of them almost never hangs out with the other 4 and 1 of them sometimes join in and sometimes goes off (the largest one is frequently off on its own). I know these are still very young and not sure how their behavior will change as they get older but so far they have been both interesting and good guest (I hear they can sometime be problematic).
-
The kuhlI are the kuhlI - right now they are in their hiding phase but sometimes they come out and play - there was one period about 1.5 months ago where 8 of them suddenly decided to do the kuhlI dance and did so for 3 or 4 weeks fairly continously (even the one htat had stayed hidden for 7 or 8 months) - and then one day they suddenly stopped and went back into hiding.
-
I keep being hopeful that as the clowns get larger they will stop being so skittish but not sure that will happen.
----
The one loach I want to add is kubotaI loaches - but I think that is the last loach on my list to try...
-
I've had clowns when I was in college many years ago (well 2 and they were fairly out going) - and I've had some kuhlI since being a little kid but never more than 2.
-
I should mention that the clowns love zuc. I put it in for the bn plecos (have 2) and they seem to end up eating most of it - gold zebra will also munch on it - zebra not so much.
-
Right now i'm mostly fascinated by the golds - mostly because they are most active - right now I have 4 of them surfing in front of me with a small (nickel?) size angel trying to figure out what they are doing and in effect surfing with them....
Loaches are so awesome! I had Clowns. They were never shy but maybe because they had only a common pleco and a clown catfish for floor space competition. The biggest topped out at over 12" long.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Basil
  • Question
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies