Coming Home To A New Guppy

Cazrea

No, this isn't a surprise my guppy gave birth post. In fact, I'm incredibly impressed that none of the guppies I have gave birth while I was gone. I was in the US for the whole of September, and had someone oversee my tanks (I have 3 regular tanks, 3 grow out tanks). I'm more confused about the color development of the guppies I have.

Before I get to the question, what happened was I acquired 4 females from a person and I traded them for my 2 males since they were getting bullied by the other male that I still have. They're in a separate tank, because I didn't want them to breed. I didn't know the females I got were pregnant, and the more I've read the more I should've expected that. The first drop got eaten and only 6 survived. The next drops didn't get eaten at all (even by the betta that lived with the females), and I now have over 100 guppies.

I tried to ask the person that gave me the guppies what they were, but he simply said that they were half blacks and yellow tails; they've been AWOL since he handed me the females. I have a prior thread asking what color the other set of females were, because I was kinda sure that this set was half black yellows based on the females. Well, I was wrong.

This is my 3 month old male from the first drop:

image0.jpg

I was surprised to see him like that, cause he looked like this a month ago:

image0.jpg

These are his currently almost 2 month old siblings from the same female. I should've considered the orange markings on him to be a foreshadowing of some sorts, but I'm generally new to fish keeping (I started last year, I'm in the hobby for plants). Clearly, they're not HBY, but seems to be a pure strain cause the bigger ones are all starting to get black spots on their tails as well.

Does anyone know what color strain this is? The closest looking one I found online is from this article:
Guppy Article - Gold MultI Development

It does mention having red markings on the body on some of them, but my guppies aren't gold or doesn't seem like it. I have a gold cobra male, but I highly doubt he's the father and absolutely none of the drops have any cobra markings (the male has snakeskin on both body and tail).

Thanks in advance!

esqueff

I can’t be of much help but that is one beautiful guppy!!

Cazrea

I can’t be of much help but that is one beautiful guppy!!

Thanks! I actually like this a lot, tbh.

JAMarlow

He has lovely coloring and patterns! I don't know what type he is, either, but it should be interesting to see if the other males turn out as pretty as him.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Cazrea
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • emeraldking
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • emeraldking