Comet losing color why

Mel254

Reaction score
Water parameters are- nitrate 10, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.3
Just did a water change two days ago. About 4 days ago he started losing color.. the first pic is on 3/14 and the second is taken today.. different angle but same fish
acting otherwise completely himself, same weight, pigging for food, swimming around during day normally, no flashing, no bottom sitting or top of tank gaping.
I’m at a loss as to why he’s losing color
He’s about 2 years old and is a lone fish in a 39 gallon
He is fed daily- morning he gets one pre soaked pellet (bug bite), afternoon he gets - veg. Small piece of broccoli or spinach, pm he gets another pellet or a half or a small soaked piece of shrimp (I don’t give him a full piece)

Attachments

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long have you had the fish, and has anything recently changed in his diet, habitat, life, in any way?

As a side note I have found Goldfish to be highly unpredictable with their colors. Lol. I had a beautiful baby Oranda decide one day that he wanted to be white instead of orange. He literally lost all of his color and I thought he was dying. After much panic and mayhem I found out this just sometimes happens with Goldfish for no particular reason and is considered normal. Once I found out that nothing was wrong with him I just let him be. He never acted funny or showed any signs of illness or distress.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might try feeding a plant based African Cichlid pellet of flake food. Omega One makes several color enhancement varieties.

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Color enhancing foods may or may not work if the fish is simply going to decide to change color. I'm not sure. If a fish is dull or colors are faded and not vibrant, food containing the ingredient astaxanthin can brighten colors up, especially red fish.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Sheena-Phx said:
How long have you had the fish, and has anything recently changed in his diet, habitat, life, in any way?

As a side note I have found Goldfish to be highly unpredictable with their colors. Lol. I had a beautiful baby Oranda decide one day that he wanted to be white instead of orange. He literally lost all of his color and I thought he was dying. After much panic and mayhem I found out this just sometimes happens with Goldfish for no particular reason and is considered normal. Once I found out that nothing was wrong with him I just let him be. He never acted funny or showed any signs of illness or distress.
I’ve had him for two years
He’s occasionally lost a scale or two but this isn’t that because it’s just blanched color, no missing scales like an injury, just white patches. His habitat is the same, no changes, no new plants, filters, decorations , etc and I feed him the same foods consistently
Status quo with all that
The only difference in his life is that now I’m home all the time bc of quarantine lol

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Sheena-Phx said:

Panic and mayhem lol so true
Indeed

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The only difference is you are home all the time.... Lol. You stressed your fish out and made him drop his color :hilarious:. That's hilarious. And I totally agree with you, he doesn't look like he has a sickness or illness, just seems mis-colored. I'm going to go ahead and say that as long as he is acting normal, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Maybe he is moody and changing colors accordingly.

Stop stressing out your fish during quarantine. No more Tik Toks with the fish or trying to get him to play tic tac toe with you through the glass....LOLOLOLOL.

I would just keep an eye on him and keep doing what you're doing. If he continues to look and act normal and healthy then just throw your hands up in the air and re-name him "What the Heck". That's all I've got. Lol.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Omg funny right?
ya I’ll keep watching him
He’s still doing fine/normal but I just find it so odd and don’t want to be caught behind the ball if things get weird
I read other threads elsewhere on this and the advice is everything from “its normal“ to “its fungus if you don’t treat it he will die “
And I just want to have the right stuff on hand if things get weird
Like methylene blue? Idk if that’s even what I would need to use but I remain, how did you say, panicked

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I get it. When you don't know for sure, of course it's always better to be concerned than not. If it is some type of illness you should be able to see some other signs or symptoms of distress. Fungal/Bacterial infections will look like there is something wrong. Actual fungus on the body, lesions, redness, sores, etc. And those will also cause the fish to not feel well, so you will see a loss of appetite, lethargy, odd behavior, etc. Right now it just looks like some of his scales are losing color. The scales have not fallen off, nor does there seem to be any fungus growing in that area.

Here is a great article going over what we have generally discussed, and giving the reasons behind it.

Again, I'm not leaning towards sickness if he doesn't appear to have any other symptoms. I think it's just a genetic thing. : )

It is always good to have general medications on hand in case of emergencies, I agree. I always keep Melafix, Pimafix, KannaPlex, and Furan-2 on hand. Those cover just about anything that could go wrong and are always recommended here on the forum, depending on what the problem is of course.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Thank you so much
I think he’s just a what the heck fish lol and decided to be white, like you said. But I will get those meds just to have them on hand
for sure
And I’ll try not to make anymore til tok videos with him although he is a pretty good dancer

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Help! Sheena-Phx Momgoose56
Ok he has been acting normally swimming and eating normally, although continuing to lose color, until this morning.
He ate his food fine but is now bottom sitting
And not moving!
Levels are fine
We just did a water change yesterday
Nitrate is 5 ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 ph is 7
See pic
What the heck do I do to help him???

Attachments

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
Update- the bottom sitting was because of an ammonia spike I think.. from the am feeding
I dosed with a cap of stability, ammonia went back to 0 (from 1 after the spike!) and he began swimming around again
So I don’t think (?) that was related to the color loss over the last two weeks or so. It has been gradual, but steady. Pic one is three weeks ago then he started losing some color and now has lost significant color. Testing of water tonight levels are ammonia 0 nitrate 10 nitrite 0 ph 7
I wonder if it’s his diet.. I’m giving him the same foods but maybe a little more bec I’m home more now? Or maybe the addition of frozen shrimp about a month or so ago has messed with his belly?( it stays in the freezer is a cube and then I thaw it and feed, but it has a “moldy” smell which always struck me as odd)... someone suggested it might be because my KH is low .. see test strip.. but it’s always been low, for about a year now and I was planning on adding crushed coral or some alkaline buffer if that wouldn’t stress him out too much. The ph fluctuates between 6.8-7.5 but never dips below that. But that’s not a new issue so I don’t know if that could be related to a somewhat “sudden” loss of color:
Again, he is two so the color change from Juvie to adult doesn’t make sense to me either, he’s far beyond his Juvie years.
His activity level remains about the same, interested in food, etc. except for this morning ammonia issue he has been active.
Thoughts??
Please anyone.. what could be happening here?
Sheena-Phx Momgoose56

Attachments

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
prasunchoudhari
John58ford
KribensisLover1
mattgirl

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had goldfish so don't know much about them but a quick google search tells me that is isn't unusual for one to continually change colors throughout their lifetime. It is very possible that is all that is happening to your little guy/girl. Type "can goldfish color continue to change throughout their lifetime" into google and what you find there might ease your mind about your fish.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
thank you, yes I’ve read alot of the articles about it being “normal” but such a radical change in such a short span of time worries me :/
He basically has lost all his color

John58ford

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, I remember helping you out a little bit with this guy, I think it was a kH and filter/bubble issue, and you liked us all enough to invite us back in on this one. I appreciate you having trust in me but I might let you down iyn this one.

I don't know much about cold water fish coloration TBH. I do know how to recognize a few different illnesses that would cause an apparent lack of color but he appears healthy. The things I would look for (that I know of) would be subdermal bubbles/blistering causing a lightness of color indicating a variety of internal illness. missing scales indicating trauma, fuzz/slime indicating external parasites or fungus. He looks pretty good on that front so from the outside I've got nothing.

My bettas have changed color at or beyond 2 years, but I haven't kept my other fish breeds much longer than a year now, breeding guppy mutts for the last 3ish but not for show or display until the last year so no age reports on gen 1. I have built gold fish ponds for others but have yet to do one for myself.

I guess what I mean to say is the only fish I have kept custody of longer than 2 years, did change color, but it was a different species in warm water. I think your fish externally looks pretty healthy. I'm hoping a cold water keeper with more time in than me can tell you it's more common than we think for a comet to change colors at a few years old. He could live to be older than most dogs so he's not really "that" old yet.

Ksway

Reaction score
Yea I was going to mention to test your kh and GH, goldfish definitely like it on the higher end like koi fish do. I would try to aim for at least a 8dH for kh. That should help with the ph swings as well. Also 6.8 - 7.5 is quite a dramatic shift.

OP
M

Mel254

Reaction score
John58ford
thanks for your reply.. he is still active with none of the external issues u mention except he is missing a few scales on one side only
He’s been missing them for a time before he started losing color tho.. occasionally he will knock one off on a decoration but it usually grows back. These havent
But they aren’t red
Sometimes they look a lil pinkish. It mostly just a flat appearance because the scale is gone
I read up on scales growing back and found out it can take a month so I figured it was just slow in growing back but they haven't
Haven’t been any more missing scales tho so idk if the two issues- scales and color loss/ are related
If you know of any cold water comet/goldfish peeps on here, please tag for me!
It's just so hard to find knowledgeable guidance and I worry and just want learned keepers to weigh in which is why I’m glad to have found tvis

New Threads