Comet Goldfish

GillCintonsMom

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So question for you all-

We have a comet goldfish gifted to us back in May. Currently I'd say the dude is 3-4 inches and in a 30 gallon tank. We plan to upgrade when he gets bigger.

Yesterday we stopped in a new store to check out their tanks and fish and an employee there was telling us about how our goldfish would get AT LEAST 36 inches long and we need to start making a pond for him. This guy also went on at length about all the land he's going to buy and how many ponds he's going to have and honestly it seemed like he really wanted to push for ponds. I know comets can get quite large...but it seemed like he was exaggerating. Everything else I've seen and read doesn't add up to what he was saying so I thought I'd get some more opinions.

How big can we expect our comet to get and live comfortably in a tank? We are not against getting a 100+ gallon tank in the future if need be.
Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 6.43.38 AM.png

JackA99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He was probably thinking of koi. I am pretty sure comets max out at a foot or a little over. He should be fine in a bigger tank full grown no problem.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He has no idea what he's talking about. It sounds as if he just did 10 minutes of Google research. That is, he clicked on some random link and bought into anything it said, whether or not the info was legitimate. Even a vast majority of pet store koi (which he confused goldfish with) won't grow close to 36". Such careless and extreme viewpoints as his does more harm than good for the hobby. My opinion: get a 75g. It's reasonable in the long term, and you could even add a couple more fish. Others may disagree.

Last edited:

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Btw it’s not a comet, ‘just’ a regular goldfish. Comets have much longer tails (hence the name). It should grow to about a foot or not much less, so it will need a big tank. And another goldfish or two for company.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom