Comet Goldfish Rescue!

GoldfishRescueStory

Hi,
These 3 goldfish were rescued from petco (I got the for free). They are kind of sick and pale! I have attempted to rescue them! They are currently in a 5 gallon tank for a few weeks/months until they get better (my only extra tank, well aware it’s too small) Then they will be rehomed to a pond or VERY large tank! I will be documenting this rescue! There named are Huey Lewey and Dewey
Day 1: They are very curios and are exploring the tank! They are small and pale but I hope the get better!

Attachments

• 9CF0C6E9-AA19-408E-983C-4AFEAC242BFB.jpeg
    9CF0C6E9-AA19-408E-983C-4AFEAC242BFB.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 25

GoldfishRescueStory

make sure to check the water parameters and do frequent water changes.
Of course! Wt changes every 1-3 days!
Day 1 evening: First meal! They are looking better!

otterblue

They look like Huey, Louie and Dewey to me.

GoldfishRescueStory

They look like Huey, Louie and Dewey to me.
That’s perfect ! That’s there new name!

BlockHead1981

I love comets, they get so beautiful. I just wish they didn't grow so big!

GoldfishRescueStory

I love comets, they get so beautiful. I just wish they didn't grow so big!
That are! And SO cute!

Day 2 morning: They had breakfast and figured out to swim to the dealing for food! I gave them 2 minutes to eat all they want and netted all the other food out! They look better too! photo one is them eating and 2 is them begging for food! They scare easily but we are working on it!

Attachments

• BEA53E09-819F-4DAE-ACCD-4627612F8CE3.jpeg
    BEA53E09-819F-4DAE-ACCD-4627612F8CE3.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2E29B23C-C913-4AB7-91D9-61EC58DBC72C.jpeg
    2E29B23C-C913-4AB7-91D9-61EC58DBC72C.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 17

GoldfishRescueStory

Is this ammonia poisoning? The red fins? They all have it! How do I treat it?
Anyone ?

Attachments

• 69A7FF46-925B-4CCB-B04F-E5089E1BCDB1.jpeg
    69A7FF46-925B-4CCB-B04F-E5089E1BCDB1.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 15

jtjgg

maybe, maybe not. they start of in a black/brown/bronze coloration. when they get big enough they start changing to orange. the fins are usually the last to lose the dark color.

GoldfishRescueStory

Day 2 evening: They ate great! But I need some help! There gills are red (ammonia poisoning-I added some salt but can I do anything else other than that and daily water changes) and I found clear poo (wha does that mean). How do I treat them (would salt help)! Here are pics of them eating, the red gills, and the poop! jtjgg otterblue BlockHead1981 and anyone else advise?

Attachments

• 6DE213AC-93A0-48FC-9253-B858CFEAE0F1.jpeg
    6DE213AC-93A0-48FC-9253-B858CFEAE0F1.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 10
  • C3B1196C-5B43-49F5-BA8E-50D312A37F7A.jpeg
    C3B1196C-5B43-49F5-BA8E-50D312A37F7A.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 13BB68B4-37C6-42A7-8813-D376EDC22627.jpeg
    13BB68B4-37C6-42A7-8813-D376EDC22627.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 9

jtjgg

the gills don't look any redder than normal gills. have you tested the water parameters?

clear poop could mean they could have parasites. i qt new fish with PraziPro, 2 weeks 2 treatments.

GoldfishRescueStory

the gills don't look any redder than normal gills. have you tested the water parameters?

clear poop could mean they could have parasites. i qt new fish with PraziPro, 2 weeks 2 treatments.
Thanks! And parasites yikes! I ordered some PraziPro, should be here in a week!

GoldfishRescueStory

Day 2: They are doing great! They all may have parisites but I order some PraziPro. They are so cute!

Attachments

• 3CC3E782-0D48-4E34-B685-8E53354B6151.jpeg
    3CC3E782-0D48-4E34-B685-8E53354B6151.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 7

Ouse

I understand of your good intentions and I applaud people such as you who care for the animals’ wellbeing, but such rescues are very flawed and should not be done.

For future reference: never buy fish from a store and think you’re rescuing them (even if you got them for free). It only supports the business and the store will simply restock goldfish afterwards. There’s also the chance nobody will want to take these fish from you, or anyone who does take them in might house them in an inadequate setup again.

You’re keeping three comet goldfish in an unfiltered 5 gallon. An unfiltered tank has poor oxygenation and thus low numbers of beneficial bacteria. This tank cannot possibly cycle or support the bioload of the goldfish.

You must be very careful about the water quality, which means doing large volume water changes (50%+) daily to keep these fish alive. If left too long, they’ll essentially be poisoned to death in this setup. The necessary frequent water changes will however take the PraziPro out of the tank, presenting other problems: you either remove it all from the water, or leave a small amount in, the latter creating an underdose.

I’m sorry, but this “rescue” was not a good idea. A better alternative to rescuing fish from bad vendors is actually to avoid buying fish from said vendors.

GoldfishRescueStory

I understand of your good intentions and I applaud people such as you who care for the animals’ wellbeing, but such rescues are very flawed and should not be done.

For future reference: never buy fish from a store and think you’re rescuing them (even if you got them for free). It only supports the business and the store will simply restock goldfish afterwards. There’s also the chance nobody will want to take these fish from you, or anyone who does take them in might house them in an inadequate setup again.

You’re keeping three comet goldfish in an unfiltered 5 gallon. An unfiltered tank has poor oxygenation and thus low numbers of beneficial bacteria. This tank cannot possibly cycle or support the bioload of the goldfish.

You must be very careful about the water quality, which means doing large volume water changes (50%+) daily to keep these fish alive. If left too long, they’ll essentially be poisoned to death in this setup. The necessary frequent water changes will however take the PraziPro out of the tank, presenting other problems: you either remove it all from the water, or leave a small amount in, the latter creating an underdose.

I’m sorry, but this “rescue” was not a good idea. A better alternative to rescuing fish from bad vendors is actually to avoid buying fish from said vendors.
I see what you mean. I added a filter. These fish were about to be thrown away, and I got them for free. The 5G tank is cyled.

Ouse

The 5G tank is cyled.
If the fish are getting ammonia poisoning, that’s a sign it’s not cycled. A filter is pretty necessary for the cycle to take place.

Are ammonia and nitrite both at 0?
I added a filter.
Just now?
These fish were about to be thrown away
As in, tossed into a bin?

GoldfishRescueStory

If the fish are getting ammonia poisoning, that’s a sign it’s not cycled. A filter is pretty necessary for the cycle to take place.

Are ammonia and nitrite both at 0?

Just now?

As in, tossed into a bin? That’s bad... o_O
They had ammo poisoning when I got them, now it has went away! Ammonia and nitrate are at 0 I test twice a day. I cycled the tank with a filter, but when I got these fish the could not handle ANY flow at all without flipping. The petco employee was doing a dead check, and our cruel petco tosses LIVE sick fish in the trash! The lady was carrying them to the garbage, I took them. I already know where to take them too, we have an ama LFS, the owner loves goldfish and has a pool sized pond, so they will take them!

Ouse

They had ammo poisoning when I got them, now it has went away! Ammonia and nitrate are at 0 I test twice a day.
What kit do you use to test?

Also, try to test only once a day. Testing twice isn’t necessary. ;)
but when I got these fish the could not handle ANY flow at all without flipping.
You shouldn’t ever remove the filter. If the tank was adequately sized, the flow wouldn’t have bothered them. You could’ve tried to use something to limit the flow.

By removing the filter, you remove the vast majority of beneficial bacteria, so I’m surprised the cycle hasn’t crashed.
The petco employee was doing a dead check, and our cruel petco tosses LIVE sick fish in the trash!
The reason they toss sick fish is of course because they don’t want to sell sick fish. Your Petco mustn’t have a good quarantining system by the sound of things, meaning they simply toss dead fish as they’re unable to heal them or euthanise them humanely.

Profit is almost always the top priority over the animals’ wellbeing at fish stores.
we have an ama LFS, the owner loves goldfish and has a pool sized pond, so they will take them!
At least things are sorted out. :)

However, if you really wish to keep dealing with illnesses, to stress out goldfish and to overcrowd your LFS’s goldfish pond with rescued fish, only then is it a good idea to continue doing these rescues.

I recommend to stop interacting with the live fish section of your local Petco entirely. Only go there to buy non-fish items; don’t support their sales of live fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
  • Question
Replies
Views
Roman96
Replies
Views
jtjgg