Comet(common?) Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just adopted a planted 6gal tank with two Comets (plus a Mystery Snail, and some anacharis).

I was planning to keep them, but... Everything I have read here says these little goldies need at least 30gal of water! I will not be able to get them a big enough tank to keep them healthy and thriving. My apartment is, unfortunately, way too small to scale up to a bigger tank.

The Comets are about 2-3 inches long now (see picture), and have an even orange-gold color. They are very active, and always follow each other around the tank. They don't even mind when I come in to clean the algae off of the glass. Previous owner believes they are a breeding pair, and says he cleaned eggs out of the tank about a month ago. They are about a year old, we think.

I'm a little concerned that if I give them to a pet store they will just end up back in the same bad situation. I'd really like to make sure they are happy and don't die because of cramped living quarters.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have!!

Attachments

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m blind so asked hubby to take a look. I’ve had goldfish all my life. What you have is a common goldfish. According to hubby’s description. Either way, they need LOTS of space. Pond is ideal. They get to be 12-21”. Kept in too small a space, their organs continue to grow causing horrendous problems for the fish and you. And, they are very wasteful creatures. As in they make LOTS of waste. Thirty gallons isn’t big enough for two commons. They’re such beauties and smart and funny! My Kikki tail splashes me every time I come out the door. Ask around. See if someone will take them. Just make sure they have space. Good luck!

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m blind so asked hubby to take a look. I’ve had goldfish all my life. What you have is a common goldfish. According to hubby’s description. Either way, they need LOTS of space. Pond is ideal. They get to be 12-21”. Kept in too small a space, their organs continue to grow causing horrendous problems for the fish and you. And, they are very wasteful creatures. As in they make LOTS of waste. Thirty gallons isn’t big enough for two commons. They’re such beauties and smart and funny! My Kikki tail splashes me every time I come out the door. Ask around. See if someone will take them. Just make sure they have space. Good luck!
Thanks! I am hoping to re-home them. I really think they are very sweet, and I know that I won't be able to give them what they need. Thanks for letting me know that they are Commons, previous owner told me Comets and I just believed him.

Are there any websites or forums that are recommended for this sort of thing?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a goldfish dedicated forum but I couldn’t navigate it. If Siri can’t read the content on the screen, I’m out of luck. Just google goldfish forums and you’ll find them. Though fishlore has some goldfish lovers on it as well. I’m currently deciding where to try to find homes for my younger sarassa comets. Letting go is so hard though!

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
::UPDATE:: My LFS is going to foster the goldfish!! After talking to the manager, who was very kind and helpful, I made sure that they wont give the fish to anyone unless they have a big enough tank or a pond for them. I am so glad that they are on their way to a bigger tank at the LFS and more room to grow! Bon voyage, little goldies!

Thanks everybody for your help and support.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats for that! If your still interested in fish, there are loads that would fit well in a 6.5g and not outgrow it!

Extra tibit, comets are easy to tell due to their finnage. If you look at the caudal fin (the back one) if its around 1/2 the body size or bigger, and has pointly tips; its a comet. If uts very short, and rounded at the ends - like yours - is a common.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
::UPDATE:: My LFS is going to foster the goldfish!! After talking to the manager, who was very kind and helpful, I made sure that they wont give the fish to anyone unless they have a big enough tank or a pond for them. I am so glad that they are on their way to a bigger tank at the LFS and more room to grow! Bon voyage, little goldies!

Thanks everybody for your help and support.
Awesome and thanks so much for the update! Keep coming back now.

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congrats for that! If your still interested in fish, there are loads that would fit well in a 6.5g and not outgrow it!

Extra tibit, comets are easy to tell due to their finnage. If you look at the caudal fin (the back one) if its around 1/2 the body size or bigger, and has pointly tips; its a comet. If uts very short, and rounded at the ends - like yours - is a common.
@aussieJJDude Thank you!
I think that I would like to continue keeping fish in this 6gal for now, maybe I'll upgrade to something bigger eventually. I'll be back in the forums soon, asking all sorts of silly questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 10 35.7%

Top Bottom