Combining Schooling Fish?

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have 2 zebra danio females (I lost 3 of my original 5). I would like to get a few more schooling fish for them to hang out with. Is it best for me to just get a few more zebra danios, or would they still school with other fish (like other kinds of danios, or guppies, or platys)? If not danios, what other fish would you recommend combining them with? Or should I just keep with the danios (I have a 10 gal tank). I just wanted your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Sharon

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most schooling fish will school with fish that are shaped like them. I have four different kinds of danios in the 55 gallon and they are one big school. I have also had them school with white clouds. Hope that helps
Carol

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes it does help greatly! Thanks so much!!
Sharon

bert2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have an x-ray tetra that schools with my Herlequin Rasboras. They are pretty much the same shape and color. For danios white clouds would be perfect and they are cheap. The only thing is that they need cooler water that danios are used to.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Before the great fungus massacre... I had a school of Serpae tetras and neon tetras... it was pretty cool watching them. They schooled, but not together, and the schools would move independently of each other.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom