Combining Fake and Real Plants

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 17, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

Can you combine fake and real plants? Real plants are quite too expensive for me honestly, and I want a decently-planted aquarium :( So I was thinking of keeping maybe two or three real plants and a few more silk ones...

Ideas and concerns?

My biggest concern right now is that just in case the real plants have an iron deficiency or something and I need to add plant food, it might discolor the artificial plants.

Thanks =)

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

There are no issues with mixing live and fake plants. It's up to you whether you want to do it; I always use live plants only in my tanks. To my knowledge, plant fertilizers won't discolor artificial plants. :)

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Harpua has got it. You can combine live & fake plants with no problems. Fertilisers will not discolour the fake plants in any way. Out of curiosity, what size is the tank?

4. OP
    OP
    A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

It's a 20 gallon tank :)

5. harpua2002

I should have more low light plant packages available soon if you are interested. :)

6. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

20gal isn't going to be large enough for Parrot cichlids. They are going to need much larger accomodation. You can send Aquarist48 (Ken) a profile vistors message & he will be able to help advise you one these fish & the size tank. He's been keeping them for years & is very good for advise.

7. harpua2002

Oh, nice catch Nutter! I didn't check the aquarium info.

I totally agree, parrots need a minimum of 55 gallons. I've kept them in tanks ranging from 30-75 gallons and bigger is definitely better for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice