Combining Bicarbonate And Phosphate Ph Adjusters/buffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cds333

Reaction score
Starting with water with a pH of 4, which needs to be adjusted to 7...

Can anyone tell me if it is a bad idea to use sodium bicarbonate to bring the pH up and then use a phosphate buffer to hold the pH at 7?

If so, why?

The phosphate works by itself of course, very well; it holds in the low-mid 7s almost perfectly. However when adjusting from such a low starting pH it takes a lot and this chemical is getting expensive with a few hundred gallons of weekly water changes. With baking soda being so cheap I thought it could save a lot if I could use it to do the bulk of the pH adjustment.

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If there is any fish or live plants present in the tank is very very bad idea..
Add some rock or substrate to the aquarium that has the effect of raising the pH. For example, crushed coral, Limestone
Adding baking soda will raise the pH, but remember that this will need to be constantly added (you cannot just add it once and forget about it). You also need to be careful not to add too much at one time and cause a severe spike as this could kill your fish. It is best to gradually adjust the pH if you decide it must be adjusted. A general rule is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Dissolve the baking soda in some water before adding it to the tank. Also remember that the above ratio of 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons is just a rule of thumb. For your specific case, take it slowly so you do not shock or kill your fish.

OP
C

cds333

Reaction score
This is all being done to the water long before it comes in contact with the fish. The pH is matched before the water change.

Specifically I need to know if I can use baking soda to neutralize whatever acid is present in the water before adding the phosphate, as opposed to just using the phosphate to naturalize the acid as well as buffer against future acid that the fish produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 28 65.1%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 7 16.3%

Top Bottom