Columnaris won’t go away

BusyBetta

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? About 1 year
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? Average between 75-80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) one male moon betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 2x/month
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum every time

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, was told I didn’t need to
What do you use to test the water? I bring samples to the store for testing
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Was feeding every day but now every other day
How much do you feed your fish? 3-5 pellets
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? One year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A couple weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White cotton-like growth on the tail fin
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not any behavior change that I can tell. Just growth on tail

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now).

I noticed a cotton-like growth on my betta’s tail fin 4 weeks or so ago. Not knowing what it was, I took a picture and went to the pet store and asked for help in treating it. The first time I went, the employee said it was Ich and gave me an anti fungal treatment. Not knowing better, I purchased and followed the instructions to a T. Nothing changed afterwards. Again, took a picture and went back and spoke to someone else. The gave me a different anti fungal treatment. I purchased and followed instructions to a T. No changes. At this point I was 2-3 weeks in and stressing out. I did some more research and came across diagnosis of Columnaris. I can’t find Furan-2 anywhere for purchase. I went to a different store and requested help.they did some research and said that Cupramine is an alternative and could help. So I purchased that and I’m 6 days into treatment, still no changes. I am beyond frustrated and stressed out because I just want my betta to get better. Please help! I’ve read that I should remove the fish into a quarantine tank. I haven’t isolated the betta in a quarantine tank because it’s a small tank and there’s no other fish in the tank with him. Is that what I’m missing? I’m running out of options and time before this becomes untreatable.

Attachments

• AB52515B-49B1-4468-AF64-9B3416A845AD.jpeg
    AB52515B-49B1-4468-AF64-9B3416A845AD.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 20

LowConductivity

Not columnaris in my opinion, doesn't look like fungus all that much either.

Fish do have immune systems, and are generally capable of healing if given proper conditions... the 2x/month water changes aren't helping in my opinion. We need to give him some super clean water so he can heal up. Get him on the 50% a day program for a week (I'd imagine you'd see some improvement at the 7 day mark), and then continue at 50% weekly.

Clean water can do some magical things

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
sailesh10115
Replies
Views
Susibug